Memories || Chapter 5

1984

Lynette "Billie" Ford

"What's going on?" Just a few days later, I walked out of the record store alongside Vanessa and couldn't believe what unfolded before my eyes. Paparazzi then swarmed our parking lot. Yet, for whatever reason, I noticed that cameras soon flocked towards Vanessa, as if I had become completely invisible.

My best friend curved her eyes towards me with fear and confusion all at once. Next thing I knew, these same shutterbugs pushed microphones towards her face out of nowhere. I still didn't know what to believe until Vanessa finally cleared her throat.

Within seconds, Vanessa stood up for me in a way that I had never even seen before. Everyone else clustering around us silenced. I still couldn't believe that this woman captured almost any audience so quickly, even as far back as our past college days.

"We aren't answering your questions for the press until someone explains what's going on here." Vanessa shouted out loud for her audience and crossed both arms, hoping to end the madness which still perplexed both of us for obvious reasons. I remained and stood by my best friend. The crowd wouldn't disperse until one female report spoke up for everyone.

"Where is Billie? We're looking around because her song recently hit the airwaves." This female reporter stood her ground to speak. I could finally allow myself to smile. Even Vanessa calmed down towards me in one way or another. We both nodded, understanding.

As soon as I stepped ahead to face this chaos, reporters shouted again. Cameras flickered, shuttering like cracked glass. I had never seen so many people notice my presence at the same time. At the start, I didn't even know what person to address first, but soon pulled myself for the sake of Vanessa standing by now. Her own smile persisted as we squeezed hands reassuring one another. There was no other choice but to answer many questions.

I wasn't officially signed anywhere. Vanessa and I were just scraping to pay bills with the record store jobs. According to frantic these reporters, one of us should've clearly started modeling by now. I still rolled both of my eyes, knowing better. Vanessa even chuckled.

"If anyone needs a true record deal, it's Billie." Vanessa chimed in as reporters still questioned both of us. Glimmering sunlight casted behind our heads and the gaggle finally decided to spread out. Night would arrive soon to give us breaks. I smiled one last time.

By the end, Vanessa and I drove out of the parking lot, still shocked by what just happened.

It was my first real brush with fame.

___

"Paparazzi is crazy, girl." Vanessa offered some truth while we ate lunch together with her boyfriend David. We had all finally earned another weekend off. I still couldn't understand why people questioned Vanessa to begin with. I had the vocals. I recorded the demo alone. My best friend had nothing do with my new form of success.

Still, there was only a matter of time before I couldn't have a normal life anymore. People were even calling my home for interviews at this point. I could only imagine what could take place next. Maybe I wouldn't be able to even enter the record with Vanessa anymore.

"I know." I'd finally answered Vanessa and continued eating. Across the table, David flirted with his girl, but still kept affection subtle. These two both understood that I hadn't taken relationships seriously in quite some time. Showing out publicly wouldn't ease my single life.

"Reporters only talked to me because I was your friend." Vanessa lowered her voice. I reached out to drink my water. On the other hand, David sipped lemonade and remained silent. He was the type of person who supported from the sidelines, anchoring for his girl when needed.

"That makes sense." I kept quiet too, but still didn't stop thinking whether or not the media cou

"I'm still convinced that Michael leaked your single to the airwaves. Nobody else has spoken out about it." Vanessa winked towards me. David chuckled to himself.

"I don't care who leaked the record to radio, V. As long as the music is there out here now, I'm happy." Voices still chatted from different tables located all around us.

"All right then, girl. Just be grateful that we can still eat out like everyone else at this point. Meeting fame isn't going to end." Vanessa chimed in again. I nodded, agreeing. As I've said, there was only a matter of time before I would kiss normalcy goodbye. I still knew better.

"I know." I repeated myself and finally stopped eating.

Not long after, I asked for the check, but our waitress glanced around for a moment. Both Vanessa and I squinted towards her. Even David folded both arms with understandable confusion etching onto his dark complexion. My heart still jumped with bewilderment until that waitress whispered the answer to me, still surrounding any close eardrums.

"Miss? Don't worry about the check. A special guest has already covered everything. Enjoy the night, ya'll." The waitress smiled. David and Vanessa dropped their jaws, but I wouldn't leave this table until she explained who covered my bill out of nowhere. Who knew us?

"Ma'am, I'm terribly sorry, but I'm not leaving until we find out who did this. I am perfectly capable of paying for meals." I stood my ground.

Without really speaking out loud, the waitress nodded with understanding and subtly gestured towards the back of this restaurant.

Michael tipped those famous sunglasses down to see me and just continued eating delicious food, all without ever giving himself away.David almost cursed out loud. Vanessa nearly squealed.

I laughed and rolled my eyes.