Wrapped in Deception (5) [Picture of Sara]

Lee held my hand as he drove me back home. I shut my eyes; today had been so tiring, so many things had happened in just one day.

I couldn't wait to go to my room and snuggle under the covers, holding a torchlight and finishing 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella.

Today hadn't exactly been the best of days, but I had always promised myself that I would look at things from a optimist's perspective.

"Never let anything get you down."

That was my favourite quote by far.

I felt pressure on my hand but I didn't open my eyes.

"Hey, Princess, are you still alive?" Lee's voice had some humor injected in, but part of it was also directed to the horrible day known as 2nd November.

"Barely," I choked out, thinking back, I had disguised my heartbreak quite well, I didn't like putting my feelings on display for others to see.

"Hang in there, Precious. Remember, I'm here for you." His smooth voice sounded, and I sighed.

He had no idea how much that meant to me.

"Thanks, Lee. It... it means a lot."

I could hear a smile in his voice. "I'll be here for you, I promise."

"Don't you think it's ridiculous?" I started, "I've only known you for less than 72 hours and I think that I can trust you with my life."

I laughed shortly, hopefully he didn't think that I was going to be a clingy little leech and the ways he was going to make me hate him.

Don't, I begged, I can confide in you and only you. Don't leave me.

"Princess, open your eyes." Lee coaxed, hah, was he going to pull some prank on me? He'd better not.

I saw him smiling down warmly at me.

"Keep your eyes on the road!" I yelled, "Are you crazy? We could die!"

Lee laughed, and he let go of the steering wheel. I thought I might pass out, oh gosh, please don't kill me, I can't die yet! My vision was starting to get blurry.

I was hyperventilating.

My breath was coming in short and ragged breaths, and my mind was so foggy it actually hurt to think.

"Princess, what's wrong?"

There was no longer humor in Lee's voice.

I could sense panic, as he tried to stop the overwhelming nausea.

"You... are going to get... car... ACCIDENT!" I managed to scream out, before I found I couldn't talk anymore.

I was vaguely aware that Lee reached over to unbuckle my seatbelt, while he pulled me against his warm chest and crushed my head to his heart.

"I'm so sorry, dearest, I've already stopped the car. Count my heartbeats, shhhh, it's okay, I won't let anything happen to you."

Lee chanted over and over again.

I decided to take his advice. Heartbeats? Oh.

One, two, three.

I felt my breathing become more and more even as I counted. When I reached 312, I stopped and sighed heavily.

"Thanks Lee. I usually don't even know how to stop my own panic attacks." I smiled at him weakly.

"You're a miracle worker." I continued. "You've actually made me feel better about the situation with, er, him."