Is this the end?

I wanted to be happy, all I wanted was a family. I wanted for him to be here to love me and here for me, for Zura, but I guess I was asking for too much.

I just wanted to be happy.

I envied anyone and everyone who had what I hadn't.

I was surprised when Khalil came home with gifts, money, and baby clothing. I didn't know what to think, after everything that had happened. Khalil tried to apologize and said that he wanted to make it up to me and be a better husband and father. I wasn't sure if I could really trust him again, but I appreciated the effort he was making.

I accepted the gifts and money but told Khalil that it was going to take more than material things to fix their relationship. I needed to see consistent changes in his behavior and actions. Khalil promised to work on being more present and helping out with the baby.

In the following days, Khalil stayed home more often and helped out with the baby. He did the laundry, cooked dinner, and even changed diapers. I was impressed by the changes and slowly started to trust him again. We still had a long way to go, but I was willing to give him another chance. But as soon as I did, he always disappointed me.

Khalil's phone was ringing and I decided to answer it. I was taken aback by the call from Angie. I wasn't sure what to make of it. After all, Angie had been sleeping with my husband. She could've walked away at any moment but never did. I listened to Angie's apology, but I couldn't help feeling angry and hurt.

"How could you do this to me?" I asked, my voice trembling with emotion.

"I'm sorry," Angie said, her voice sounding contrite. "I didn't mean to hurt you. It was a mistake. I never wanted things to turn out this way."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. "I don't know if I can forgive you, I was pregnant with his child, you knew it too. He got you pregnant too, didn't he?" I cried.

"I'm sorry... He did... I understand why you're angry," Angie replied. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry. I hope that someday you can find it in your heart to forgive me. But truly, I was calling Khalil to let him know that we couldn't be together."

Khalil walked in and saw me on his phone. "What are you doing on my phone?" he barked.

I clenched my jaw and tried to keep my cool.

He began to yell louder, causing the baby to cry. I could hear Zura crying on the monitor, but I could also hear her crying 3 doors down.

"Shut that damn baby up." he barked.

I had to be prepared for what was going to happen next. I just knew it deep down.

He grabbed my wrist, yelling, "You stupid bitch. You think you too good? I'll burn this bitch down with you and that damn baby in here." I shielded my face, "I'm sorry... I just felt like — ."

"SPEAK UP!" He shouted.

"you're hurting me," I said.

He moved my hand from in front of my face and choked me. He pulled me out of the bed, pinned me against the wall, and began punching me. I fell to the floor, and he began kicking me when I was down. he kicked so hard in my side. I tried to grab his foot, but he stepped on my fingers. I laid there for a while. I just couldn't stay there.

I got myself up and brushed myself off as I always did. I called out to Angie on the phone, she was still there, she heard everything. I was embarrassed, but I grabbed the phone off the floor, he left it there, surprisingly.