Part 17

It had been a long day, one of the longest that Anakin could remember in a while. He hated meetings, and he hated playing the waiting game. And wasn't that what the majority of politics was? Hurry up and wait. By supper time Anakinwas desperate for some time with Padme, he was tired of his daily activities. He also was very curious as to how her day had gone. He was aware of a few things going on in the Senate that he wanted to ask about if she could shed any light. He hurried down the mostly deserted hallway that led to Padme's living quarters, everyone else was in the main dining hall to eat together. Once he reached the door to Padme's sitting area he stopped and took a moment before knocking. He took a few deep breaths, used his Jedi meditation techniques and gathered his thoughts before he tapped twice on the door. 

     Padme opened the door looking lovely as ever. She was dressed in a metallic jumpsuit with her hair down and curly. She looked like an angel from space, Anakin thought trying not to laugh. She appeared happy to see him though he could see the stress and tension behind her eyes. She apparently had a day very much like Anakin's own day. 

"I'm so happy to see you Ani, I missed you today!" 

Anakin wrapped her in an embrace, "I missed you too Padme. I wish we were back on Naboo at the lake house." 

"Oh me too Ani, me too." 

Anakin walked forward, guiding them into the Senator's sitting area where they would have some privacy. Privacy on Coruscant was something not to take for granted, it seemed there were eyes everywhere to Anakin. 

     Once they were behind closed doors Anakin let his guard down more, deepening the embrace between himself and Padme. He let himself get lost in the moment, kissing her softly and running his hand through her hair. The moment was fleeting, however, because they had lots to discuss. Breaking the kiss, Anakin sighed. "How was your day my love?" 

The tension immediately returned to Padme's body, "The Senate is in turmoil. I cannot believe how much worse it has gotten since I have been gone. Count Dooku's control is quite obvious in some of the outer realms. The people follow him out of fear." 

Anakin nodded. "That seems to be the story in the council as well, Count Dooku has gained control of many more systems since I have been away. Obi-Wan and I have a new mission, a lead on his headquarters. I may be gone for some time." 

Padme closed her eyes, " I worried this would happen, Ani what if something happens to you!?"

Anakin grinned, "Nothing is going to happen. Am I not the best Jedi you know of? My skills with a saber are unmatched. Even Master Windu says so." 

Padme shook her head, "Ani something can always happen."

Anakin became serious, "Well not to me."

Embracing Padme again Anakin whispered into her hair, "Let's make the most of tonight."