Chapter 1: Not Just A Normal School Day

The morning started like any other school day but, little did I know that my life was gonna change forever. This is my origin story but with less radioactive spiders or finding out I'm an alien from a destroyed planet. God, I hate spiders

***

The sunlight beamed through the blinds right on my face, I woke up groggy. The manga book I was reading late last night still laying on my chest. Rubbing the blurriness from my eyes. I stood up in my white tank top and loose elastic blue shorts. I went to use the restroom.

"Breakfast is ready! Come eat and get ready for school." I hear my mom yell through the restroom door. I finish doing my business and quickly wash my hands and face. My shoulder length hair falling over my face. I grabbed the brush on the counter to brush out the tangles out my hair.

I returned to my room to get dressed in regular clothes, picking up some used jeans on the floor. I did the sniff test to check if they're decent. Grabbed my light green Zelda shirt in my closet and my backpack off the floor. I opened my bag to double check if I my Nintendo Switch, phone, and charger were still inside. After getting dressed and stumbling with my shoes. I stepped out to say good morning and hug my parents. The aroma of fresh bacon filled the air.

"Thanks Mom, mmm I love bacon" I said thankfully and I started to munch on some bacon. Who doesn't love bacon? I sat down on the couch with a couple of sunny side up eggs , half a croissant with strawberry jam and four slices of crispy mouth watering bacon. My long straight hair falling in my face and almost in my food.

"Mom, do you have any hair ties? I always seem to lose them." I say while moving my hair behind my ears annoyingly and strands of it falling over my ears.

"Here honey" She said pulling the one holding her dark brown in a loose ponytail and handing it to me. Her hair falling softly down the middle of her back.

"Thanks Mom, I'll give it back later." then started to tie my hair back in a tighter ponytail. I got my straight hair from my mom but the thickness from my dad. I don't have to worry about being bald.

My dad and I had the same breakfast, while my mom was eating cooked salmon with rice and miso soup. My mom is Japanese and my dad is white. So, sometimes we eat a more traditional Japanese breakfast like she is now but, I prefer traditional American style. I don't really consider myself that Asian. Being born and raised in Southern California and I only speak English. I love my mom but she doesn't have the patience to teach me Japanese. I asked her about teaching me and told me to learn online.

"Max, it's almost time for school", my dad said abruptly.

My dad getting up and wiping off crumbs off his belly. Grabbing his keys and phone before we both gave my mom a big hug before heading off. We drove up in the parking lot next to the flag pole. After giving my dad a side hug in the car and opened the door to step out. Waving my dad away as the black sedan drives off. I sigh and turn around to go through the gates of hell.

Herbert High School is definitely not like what you see in High School Musical. It doesn't have preppy beautiful people that burst into song and dance. I'm not really into musicals but only reason I watched the movie is because I think Zac Efron is cute.

Anyways, my school is pretty crappy and financially broke. The school library is like the size of two regular classrooms combined. Most of the books they sell are used with scribbles, cuss words and amateur drawings inside them. The cafeteria is basically in the middle of the school. The food is highly processed and barely tastes like actual food, but hey at least it's free. They also had some Red Baron pizza for sell and you could buy snacks at the student store.