Flyers

"You can't even remember the general location of a single payphone?"

"Uh... n-no?"

Jesse sighed, "Well, that's fine. We'll find one eventually. This place isn't that big. But I was kinda hoping that you'd remember after living here for... what was it? Fourteen years?"

"Y-yeah, I thought that too... but now th-that I'm actually here, I'm j-j-just drawing blanks..."

Why couldn't Elizabeth remember?

Sure, she had been avoiding the town for seven years. She avoided thinking about it, she avoided speaking about it, and she avoided going into it whenever they stopped at it, but, despite that, it had too big of an impact on her life to not be permanently burned into her brain.

She remembered it vividly, even if she didn't want to.

She remembered the small wood covered bridge that ran over the creek. The inside of it was completely covered in things that people had carved into it. Obscenities, quotes, people's names or initials...

On the day that she left, she carved her own initials into the bridge.

She felt that it'd be the only reminder to people that she existed within the town's borders at some point.

When she and Jesse passed through, Elizabeth rather easily spotted the markings in the sea of various others.

It was very close to one of the corners, and about level with her elbows.

'E.B.J'

'Oct. 1973 - 1986'

Looking back, it almost seemed like something that you'd put on a gravestone. Her name (sort of), alongside her date of birth and date of death.

Except she didn't die. Well, not in the literal sense, anyway.

There was the grocery store that still looked like it was stuck in the fifties. It was an off-white with rather large windows in the front, allowing a view of the black and white checkered floors and short shelves. The store's name was painted onto the front in red, using a rather basic sans serif font.

One night, her father had her go down to get him something. Nick and Gar happened to be there at the same time, purchasing six cartons of eggs.

They were probably intending to use them for something else, but, upon spotting the redhead leaving the store, decided to instead throw them at her instead.

She never did manage to get the egg out of her clothes...

There was the restaurant that her father owned. It was a small place with a dim, flickering, purple neon sign hanging above the door. 

Or at least, there used to be a sign. It had been taken down. Evidently, the restaurant had closed down sometime after she left.

She didn't feel any type of way about it, really. She hardly ever visited it because her father didn't want her to embarrass him.

She did recall trying to wave at him once, just as she passed by the window, and he definitely saw her, but he ignored her.

"There's a phone." Jesse nodded towards the sidewalk that was opposite of them, where a hooded payphone stood somewhat crookedly next to a trash can.

They crossed the street, only to find that somebody had ripped the receiver straight off of the cord.

"Oh. Nevermind."