Chapter 3- Flight

I currently dont have any cover art for this story, so I would greatly appreciate any donated art for the book. -CenturionsofRome

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pain seared its way into Harsin’s conscious, stemming from his left arm. He clenched his jaw and inhaled through his teeth, trying not to scream as his muscles involuntarily contracted. After an eternity, Harsin managed to somewhat limit the pain, so that while it was still there in abundance, he would be able to function somewhat. He opened his eyes to find a wooden ceiling above him and a slight creaking that emanated from the walls, as well as the moans of the wounded.

“Morning. Lovely day ain’t it,” a voice said to Harsin’s right. He glanced over to find Connar watching him from a bunk in the wall, which was curved. “How long?” Harsin asked weakly. Connar understood. “It’s been four days,” he said somberly “I woke up a day after the attack, which was three days ago. I’ve been trying to help the wounded, but there aren’t any salves on board.” Harsin took a breath to ask another question, but was headed of by Connar “No, I don’t know what happened, if that was your next question. At best, I can give causality reports and issue medical treatments to patients, but we won’t be able to resupply until we reach Columbia, which according to Tharkson, we should arrive at some time tomorrow.”

“Ferris? Gort?” Harsin asked. Connar lowered his head so Harsin couldn’t read his expression. “They’re not onboard. From what I heard, they stayed behind to help defend Hope, but unless they’re on another boat, then, well…” Connar let the sentence drag of into nothingness. They both knew what the fate of those who had been left behind would be. Torture and death. Harsin stared up at the ceiling for several moments, listening to the creaks of the hull and the whimpers of the injured. “How many died?” Harsin asked. Out of the corner of his eye, Harsin saw Connar shake his head.

“I don’t know,” Connar admitted, “What I do know is that this was the last boat to leave, and that all the other boats had either left or we set on fire. At launch, only twenty survivors were onboard, including you and me. Three died from their wounds, and we had to throw their bodies overboard.” Sadness descended on Harsin. An unknown number of Lupi had come back to same him, and only sixteen, including him, were still alive.

“Who were they? The ones that died?” Harsin asked miserably. “Tark, Forn, and Farr were the ones who died on board. I haven’t asked about the ones not here, we may have to wait until we reach Columbia to find out,” Connar replied sadly. Harsin let himself grieve for the dead for a few minutes, then heaved himself into an upright position and instantly regretted it. “Easy now,” Connar cautioned as Harsin’s vision blurred with phantom lights and his sense of direction vanished.

Once his senses returned to normal, Harsin swung his legs out into the narrow walkway. His arm spasmed as he did so, but its complaint was ignored. Connar leaned forward and said “You know, you really should be lying down. You haven’t had anything to eat for days, Marri will kill me if you hurt yourself because you haven’t had anything to eat.” Harsin realized that he hadn’t even thought of Marri since he woke up. “Speaking of which, how is she anyway?” he asked. Connar gave him a stern look and said “I’ll tell you if you lie back down.”

Harsin shook his head. “You yourself taught me that it is a Bad Idea to rest when there are things you can be doing, and besides, I need to find something to eat and use the facilities.” Connar looked bemused. “Well, I can’t argue with you there. I’ll get you something to eat and the facilities are aft.” Connar pointed to his left, which was Harsin’s right. Connar made to stand up then said “Oh, by the way, you might want to have this.”