Chapter 9- Second Blow

Harsin returned to friendly lines around midnight. Michael vanished as quietly as he had appeared once they were past the barricade that protected what was left of Columbia’s defenders. Harsin made it his first order of business to make sure that his charges were cared for, before answering his captain’s summons.

When Harsin entered the command tent, the briefing table that had been set up there was filled.  All three captains were there, along with Marl and several other tribunes. “Sit,” Marl said, gesturing at one of the chairs around the makeshift table at which they sat. Harsin sat. Harsin’s captain leaned forward and asked “Son, what happened to you out there? We’ve heard most of it from Tribune Marl, but we want to hear your version.” Harsin sighed, but explained to the officers what his cohort had gone through that inexplicably long day, beginning with a “Very well...”

When he was finished, the captain on the far right said “So let me get this straight. Not only did you successfully defend a section of wall from one of the Infected’s strongest units, but also lead a raid on the gatehouse and disable the gate, then hold the gatehouse until sundown, and then almost slip through enemy lines unseen, only foiled due to an alarm originating somewhere else.”

 “I also lost over seventy legionnaires. You give me way too much credit, sir,” Harsin added, stifling a yawn. “Before you go to bed, we need to decide where to put your cohort for tomorrow’s fighting.” One of the captains said. “Either back to the front or guard duty. Normally, we would send you to the rear to recuperate, but that is currently not an option.” “Guard duty,” Harsin said immediately.

“Very well. You are dismissed, centurion,” Harsin’s captain said. Harsin got up and limped out of the tent, returning to the warehouse where the remnants of his cohort had been stashed. He entered the warehouse, flopped down on one of the many cots in the warehouse removing Wolfbane and his quiver before falling asleep with his armor still on.

                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Guard duty? We’re assigned to guard duty?” Vaar asked, incredulous. “It was either that or back to the front,” Harsin said. No one had any comment to that statement. “Gather your gear. We need to find out where we’re being assigned,” Harsin instructed, as other Legionnaires were preparing for more fighting. As a tribune walked by, Harsin called out “Sir.” The tribune stopped and looked at Harsin “Sir, can you please tell me where my cohort is supposed to be?” Harsin asked, limping up to the tribune. “What’s your cohort designation?” The tribune asked. Harsin hesitated, as he had never actually been informed of his cohort’s designation.

“I was never told what it is,” Harsin admitted “We were one of the reserve cohorts.” The tribune blinked “The fish cohort?” he asked surprised. “How do you know of us?” Harsin asked “You’re the only reserve cohort left. All the others were destroyed. Where’s the rest of your cohort?” Harsin glanced back, but his entire cohort was still in the warehouse, watching him. “They’re all here,” he said, confused. “But there’s only, oh. Oh, shit,” the tribune said as he realized where the rest of the cohort was. He shook his head sadly. “You’re at the launching zone. Your job is to coordinate the refugees onto the boats.”

Harsin returned to his cohort. “What was that about?” Ferris asked. “Nothing important. We need to head to the docks and organize the refugees.” Harsin answered, collecting Wolfbane, his empty quiver, and his unstrung bow, which he stuck in his quiver as usual. Upon arriving at the docks, they relived the current watch and set about their various tasks. It was a much needed break from the fighting, and gave them something to concentrate on other than bad memories.