Chapter 27 - Running Away

Susan’s heart pounded in her chest as the car taking them to the airport moved at it’s typical pace. Franco was driving and so they trusted him not to give them away, but still it was unnerving to see the increased security dressed like a SWAT team as they passed the resort property’s gates. Immediately on the other side of an invisible boundary, local authorities were similarly armed, carefully inspecting every car that went by. Flashlights were shown into both celebrities’ eyes while Susan hid her face as they were waved through, nervously noting between her fingers that the men inspecting their car were immediately on their radios talking to someone as they proceeded on their way.

“They know we’re leaving,” Susan breathed when they were clear.

“They do,” Greg said. “That’s not surprising, is it?” he asked his companions.

“I suppose not,” Richard said. “We were quite public about the date and time of our last show. Are we being followed?” he asked Susan as she twisted around.

Dark colored, unmarked cars were all around, and some they were certain were carrying other local authorities. Some but not all.

“I can’t tell … but maybe,” Susan said nervously.

The ride to the airport wasn’t all that long, but men with guns seemed to be everywhere in between. Shots were fired somewhere in the distance, then returned. They couldn’t see anything, but the sounds only added to the sense they were being pursued, making the country they were leaving feel more like a war zone.

Outside the tiny terminal when they arrived, more locals with guns and local officials were milling purposefully about, though they couldn’t tell for certain what was happening. Richard tipped Franco out of thanks for getting them there safely as Greg and Susan retrieved their bags, then the three of them hurried inside, anxious to put the sounds of the gun fire behind them.

“It’s a good thing our flight leaves right away,” Greg commented, looking around as they checked in. The number of locals milling around inside the airport at this time of night was unnerving, given what was happening outside.

“You almost missed your flight. It leaves in ten minutes,” the agent at the desk informed him as she took their bags.

“Thank you. Which way?” Greg asked.

She pointed them in the proper direction and all three headed immediately for the gate.

Once again they hurried through the crowd of local-looking men, some of whom were watching them extraordinarily carefully. Keeping his head down, Greg hurried them along as they came to the gate, walked through it and out onto the tarmac where they climbed aboard the plane.

Sure enough the agent was correct. They were the last passengers on board and the stewardess closed the doors after them while they were still sitting down. Moments later, the plane was speeding down the runway.

Susan felt the pressure push her back into her chair, and she realized that her pulse was still racing. That flight of fight sensation was still coursing through her as they made their get-away and she tried to force herself to calm down. Anxiously she twisted around, as the wheels of the aircraft left the ground, trying to see who else was aboard. Aside from her, Greg and Richard, there were about a dozen other people on their flight, most of whom were tourists also coming from the resort, leaving late after trying to squeeze just one more hour out of their vacation. On the other hand, there were a few locals aboard as well.

“I don’t think any of them are here,” Greg tried to reassure her.

“But they were at the airport. I know you saw them too. And I know Richard is right. They must have known tonight was your last show and expected us to make a run for it. They could have someone aboard if they anticipated our moves.”