Bread's the Word Chapter 8

Past

" Bread. " The Winter Soldier slowly says to Number Nine while showing her their dinner bread. 

Number Nine reaches for the bread. 

The Winter Soldier hands her some bread and she quickly shoves it in her mouth hungrily. The soldier laughs at her cuteness and takes a bite of his own chunk. " Can you say bread? " He asks her. 

He'd been trying to teach her to speak all week. She's learned how to sound out different noises, almost words. The next thing to teach her on his list is her ABC's. 

" Ead. " She shoves a small piece of bread into the soldier's mouth, making him chuckle. 

" Close. Bread. " He sits down on the bed with Number Nine on his lap. The two eat the rest of their meal in comfortable silence. 

" Bread. " Number Nine says out of the blue. 

The Winter Soldier laughs. " Yes. Bread, sweetie. Bread. " The soldier sighs before looking at the girl who had moved off of his lap and onto the ground to play with a pen and papers the soldier had made a doctor give her. " I think you need a name...I can't just call you Number Nine forever. " A name flashes in the soldier's mind, making the soldier smile. It isn't the name of someone one a list he was handed and told to kill. It wasn't a name he'd seen on some storefront sign. It was a name that was unique and seemed to come up from nowhere. " Dorothea-Lavern. " He whispers under his breath while looking at the little girl. She hands him a piece of paper with lines drawn all over it. He smiles and takes the gift gratefully. " Dorothea-Lavern. What do you think, darling? Do you like that name? Dorothea-Lavern? " He asks the young girl. 

" Bread! " She shouts happily. 

The soldier laughs. " Yeah. You're my little Dorothea-Lavern. "