Chapter 1

It didn't make sense for Emma Saunders to smile.

In fact, it was something she rarely ever did since the past summer. However, there she was, gripping the vibrant window sill, staring off into the distance, with the widest imaginable smile on her face.

Sitting in the driveway down the street was a tall boy. He had ruffled brown hair, and was strumming his acoustic guitar, singing a song.

"Something big, I feel it happening!"

But what was peculiar about this particular boy was that he was sitting in the open back trunk of a black car, strumming away at the strings. That's right, the trunk.

"When they hear you, when you thought they wouldn't listen, it's like an anthem that the whole world's singing! Hands are in the air, hands are in the air. Whoa!"

The boy belted out the words, and with every note, Emma's grin grew wider.

"If we stomp our feet, the ground will shake. If we clap our hands, the walls will break. Yell so loud, won't forget our names! Cause something big is happening!"

Emma stared in shock at the boy's confidence. He sang with a captivating voice, filling the air with his vocals.

The boy glanced up at her and a smirk spread across his face, revealing his pearly white teeth.

"Shoot!" she exclaimed to herself. Emma didn't realize that he was done, and she had been staring at him the entire time.

Hastily, she pulled the curtains down to block his view. Emma usually found herself in scenarios such as this, where she completely zoned out and ended up embarrassing herself.

"Why do I always have to be so embarrassing?" she questioned herself aloud. Her thoughts were interrupted by a ring at the doorbell.

Emma let out a frustrated moan as she hustled down the stairs. Her dad had just left to Rome on a business trip at 3:00 a.m., and her older brother was still at university.

The only one missing is Mom, Emma thought.

Brushing off the memories flooding back from the past summer, she swung the door open, to reveal the boy who had been singing earlier. He smirked when his gaze landed on her.

Gosh, cocky much? she thought to herself.

"Hey! I'm Shawn! Did you guys just move in?" He seemed rather excited, more than she would ever be.

"Umm, yeah. We moved in a couple days ago."

"Cool," he replied. Emma just stared at him in silence, wondering why he was still standing there. Up close, she could see the hint of hazel in his chocolate brown eyes, while his brown hair fell across his face.

"So, what's your name?" he questioned.

"Huh?" Emma asked. She had been too busy paying attention to his features, rather than listening to what he was saying.

"Uh, I asked your name," repeated Shawn, with a smile sneaking across his rosy lips.

"Emma."

"Emma.....?" he questioned again, gesturing for her last name.

"Saunders. Emma Saunders." Shawn smiled wide at her, running a hand through his ruffled hair, while kicking at the doormat. He happened to have very long legs, which made him appear as 6'2".

He turned around and started down the gravel pathway that snaked down the front lawn.

"You coming?!" he called out, glancing at her over his shoulder.

"What?" Emma was confused. Where did he want her to go?

"School. We have school today," said Shawn, rubbing his face with his hand, clearly exasperated.

"Right. School." She had completely forgotten that it was her first day at Fairlawn Heights Secondary School.

"Give me a sec!" she chanted, as she searched the kitchen for her backpack. She swung it across her shoulder and raced behind Shawn, finding it hard to keep up with his quick pace.

The cold air pinched her cheeks and rushed through her lungs as she stepped outside. It was still the early days of Autumn, and the wind gusted, making leaves dance.

"Wait up!" she called after him, making her way through the crumpled crimson and golden leaves that had carpeted the floor.

He stopped for a moment to let her catch up, and they both strolled down the street.

"So, why'd you guys move?" he asked, adjusting his backpack strap.

Emma immediately averted her eyes down, staring hard at the pavement of the sidewalk.

"Uh, it was-I mean, my dad-he," she stuttered. Shawn arched his bold eyebrows at her, while slowly blinking. He had magnificent eyes, almost enchanting. They made butterflies spark in her stomach, and when she looked into them, she couldn't look away.

"Go on?"

"He got transferred over here from downtown." Emma stared down, biting her lower lip.

"Downtown? So you used to live there?" he asked, blinking his thick eyelashes slowly.

"Umm, y-yeah," she replied.

"What are you staring at?" she asked, when she saw him looking at her. Shawn laughed and looked down at his black Nike shoes.

"Nothing," said Shawn, brushing it off. He motioned his head towards the building they had reached. "Look, this is your new school, Fairlawn Heights."

Emma's jaw dropped when she saw the school. It was much smaller than her old school had been. The building's bricks looked worn and even though custodians had removed a great deal, graffiti was evident on the walls. Rusted cars seemed to be hosting groups of kids who held cigarettes to their lips, and colourful backpacks were all she could see.

"This is the new school?" she asked, unbelievingly. He nodded at her, amused by her expression.

"Yup. Kinda weird, but you get used to it. Eventually." Emma gave him a glare, and he laughed.

"You can grab your schedule from Ms. Malley at the Guidance Office. See you later." With that, Shawn turned around and headed in the opposite direction.

"Wait! I don't know how to get around this place!" she called after him.

"You'll figure it out!" replied Shawn, without even looking back at her. She watched his silhouette fade into all the people.

"Great," muttered Emma under her breath. How was she supposed to find her way around the school?

That was the least of Emma's worries. She made a silent prayer to survive the day before heading into the swarm of teens scattered across the parking lot.