I Can't Fall in Love Without You

"Wait, what?" You blink, having trouble processing what Bobby just confessed.

"I remember everything that happened that night." He smiles down on you with a warmth unmatched by the sun. Still cupping your face in his hands, Bobby steps closer and leans in to kiss you.

Losing yourself for a moment you breathe in deeply, lips parting with your eyes closed as you lean into Bobby's embrace. Right as you feel his breath ghosting over your lips, your eyes snap open. "Wait."

"What's wrong?" Bobby slowly moves his hands from your cheeks down to your hands, intently searching your eyes.

"Why didn't you say anything before? About that night, I mean." You match his gaze, hoping his answer will reinforce the hope swelling in your heart.

He releases your hands and begins fumbling with his watch, avoiding your eyes. "Well, um, I just thought... well I didn't think... I don't know how to explain it." He sheepishly looks your way.

Feeling that hope begin to deflate, you exhale. "Then try. Please, Bobby?"

Bobby is silent for a few minutes, looking anywhere but in your direction. You watch him struggle, and as you do you see a pink flush fill his cheeks.

Shaking your head, the rest of the hopefulness escapes your lungs with a final exhale and you step away from Bobby.

"I have been struggling with what happened that night for the past two weeks. You know that! We talked about that night on the roof a few times, Bobby. You even asked why I went quiet when we started talking about our dance party. This whole time you remembered and just let me- why?" Frustration breaks into your voice and you are unable to continue your questioning, feeling the tears begin their too familiar sting.

"I really did want to talk about it. It's just, well, I'm embarrassed." He meekly begins.

Your worst fears are being confirmed right in front of your eyes. I knew it. It's me. He's embarrassed of me.

"Oh. No, I get it. You don't have to finish telling me." Your voice is barely a whisper because it's being choked by the incoming deluge of tears. "I'm surprised it went as far as it did, honestly. I mean... I would be embarrassed by me too... if I were you." Your trail off, hugging yourself protectively as the first tears start to fall.

"No... babe, please don't cry." Bobby sounds quietly panicked as he wipes your tears with his thumb. "I would never be embarrassed by you. You are smoking hot, sweet, thoughtful, funnier than me, and way out of my league."

You feel the contrast of Bobby's cool skin swiping across your burning face, growing ever hotter at the embarrassment of your sudden vulnerability. Shaking your head you interrupt. "That doesn't make sense though. If it's not me, then what? You have nothing to be embarrassed about."

Bobby shuffles his feet uncomfortably, and is biting his lip while seemingly trying to find the words to explain. Finally, after a forced exhale, he wills himself to talk. "Izzy, I fell asleep." Chancing a glance your way, you raise your eyebrows at him and tilt your head as a sign to continue. "I mean... I fell asleep while you were... I mean when we were about to..."

You get the feeling you are doing a terrible job of keeping your bubbling frustration off of your face, as every time Bobby looks at you he becomes more flustered. "Bobby, just use your words!"

"I fell asleep when you were about to give me head. There. Happy?" His words bounce through the exhibit, and you are taken aback by how forceful they came flying out of him. You open your mouth to respond, but he cuts you off, continuing, "and yes that is embarrassing! Any guy would be mortified by that happening, let alone when he's lucky enough to have you doing the honors!"