Chapter 6

It was some time after dawn, and when she looked up at the canopy, Leafpaw could see the pink-and-blue sky between the flourishing greenery as the sun's rays painted the streaks of clouds that blew over the territories. It was a pleasant greenleaf morning, not too hot, but not too cold, and still the dew that clung to her pelt when she brushed past drooping fronds and blades was refreshing. It made the apprentices even more eager to be heading to the mossy clearing to start their day early.

Before long, Leafpaw was lined up with Finchpaw and Mosspaw in front of their mentors.

"Today, we're going to practice using the front paw blow battle technique," Mottlepelt announced. "If you're all looking good using it, we'll start teaching you a similar move - the front paw strike."

"Ooh," Mosspaw sang, ears crooked comically. "Sounds fancy."

Leafpaw scrunched her nose at her sister.

"Fancy?" Amberflame echoed, amused. "I'm not sure there's anything really fancy about fighting, but whatever you say."

Mosspaw smiled brightly. Finchpaw snorted and rolled his eyes, but Leafpaw could see him trying, unsuccessfully, to suppress a smile.

"Let's begin," Applefall chirped, "shall we?"

"Starting positions," Mottlepelt ordered.

Leafpaw instantly sank into her normal hunter's crouch, though she remembered when Mottlepelt explained that the common crouch was also the basis for many fighting techniques, including this one. Applefall mirrored her a couple tail-lengths away, her green eyes unwavering as she focused on her apprentice.

"Attack when ready," came Mottlepelt's next words.

The cats sprang into action. Crouched, tails flicking, attention focused, mentor and apprentice circled one another, the mentors preparing for an attack and the apprentices waiting for the right time. From the corner of her eye, Leafpaw saw Finchpaw pounce toward Mottlepelt, his paw raised to hit the brown tom on the head. She heard Mosspaw huff as she attacked on the other side of Finchpaw.

Leafpaw took her time. Her eyes narrowed, she kept her gaze on Applefall's face, but with her peripheral vision she tried to see how the tortoiseshell's stance was, trying to look for any trick that allowed Applefall to defend herself easier. Her eyes gave away nothing but patience; she was waiting for Leafpaw to fly forward, being both a mentor and an enemy in battle.

Suddenly, one of Applefall's paws twisted awkwardly, and she stumbled to the side.

Leafpaw wasted no more time; she pushed off with her hind legs powerfully and brought up one of her forepaws. Within the next few heartbeats, her paw had collided with Applefall's head, and before Applefall could retaliate, the brown-and-white she-cat jumped backward far enough to just barely miss her mentor's own swipe.

Instead of the frustration Leafpaw imagined would be on an enemy warrior's face, Applefall held a satisfied smile after she shook her head to clear the blow's damage.

"Excellent," she praised with a nod. "You're very light on your feet, Leafpaw. We can use that to your advantage in fighting. That, and your patience."

Leafpaw held her tail straight up and purred.

The cats went through this routine a couple more times, along with the apprentices and mentors switching roles so that the mentors would be attacking while the apprentices defended themselves, before Mottlepelt called for a halt.

"All right, are we ready to learn the next move?"

Finchpaw and Mosspaw answered "yes" loudly as Leafpaw nodded with anticipation. She felt confident with the front paw blow; if the front paw strike was so similar, there should be no reason why she wouldn't be good with that move.