Chapter one

"Hi. You're new in town. Where are you from?"
"Yup. I just moved here from Manhattan. Uh, have you lived here your whole life?"
"Well, no, actually. I moved here from England two years ago when my parents died. Only thing I brought with me was the accent." He said sincerely.
He was very british. "Oh. I'm sorry." I reply.
He tilted his head to one side, his eyes flickering to one side for a second. "I'm Dirk. Dirk Gently." Okay, who names their kid Dirk? "Todd."
"I don't have any friends." Dirk said in a matter-of-factly kind of tone.
"Why?" I have to admit, he did seem a bit annoying.
"Well, no matter what I do I just can't seem to connect with other people." His face held a confused - not really sad expression but I could tell that this was a point of vulnerability for him. "But," Dirk continued, smiling at me from under his eyebrows, "I can tell we are going to be great friends." A small tuft of his dark brown hair was sticking up and it bounced as his voice became more animated. "I think you came here for a reason. You are going to be my assistant." Dirk concluded brightly. Oh no. "Look, I don't even know you."
Dirk carried on as though I had not spoken, although I did catch a small flicker of disappointment in his expression. "I'm going to be a holistic detective." He stood up, moving in small steps towards me and, looking upwards, gesturing with his hands as he spoke. "Picture the sign." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency, cases solved with arguable efficiency!"
"Holistic?" I searched my brain for a definition.
Dirk snapped his fingers. "I knew you'd ask." He seemed weirdly gleeful, making me shrink into my seat. "Like I said before, everything is connected. Nothing is also connected. Holism is the idea that what may seem like a series of unconnected, random events are actually all connected, eventually circling back to one solution. It's also a word people use when they don't know what their doing."
"Right...Well I don't want to be in your agency. We're literally sixteen, I've got other crap to deal with." I scowl, feeling only a little remorseful. Dirk looked hurt but I pretended not to care.
"Alright then. I'm sure you'll change your mind someday." As Dirk spoke, students began filling the classroom and sitting at their desks. Next to me sat a short blonde kid with wavy hair, a strong jawline and blue eyes. "Hi. I'm Will. You're the new guy?"
"Yup." I reply, happy he referred to me as a guy. I don't know how this school will be with that. Better than my last I hope.
"You might wanna move, that's Eli's seat. He's not going to be happy if he finds you in it." He grinned slightly as though my mistake amused him. My face flushed.
"Er, right." I stood up and looked around me. Turning around I realised that right behind me was another popular looking dude with jet black hair dyed red at the tips. He snorted and Will chuckled. "Hah- I'm Eli, and that's my desk." Elis chortled and sat down, shoving roughly past me in the process.
     Face red, I moved to the only empty desk - in the back row, next to Dirk. Once I have sat down, he leans in close to me. "I told you we were meant to be friends." Dirk says happily. I frown in return and face the front as the teacher walks in.