Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter 26

(Hope)

Numb...

She felt completely and utterly numb.

Malivore had possessed Landon, leaving no trace of the boy she knew behind. It felt different somehow from Akane's illusions—she could feel that this was really Landon, but it was as if he had been completely hollowed out inside.

She felt Clarke's emotions brush against her mind, soft and warm. She knew he was trying to comfort her.

But he shouldn't— She didn't deserve it.

Landon was gone and she had led Clarke right back into his abuser's clutches—she even managed to lose Clarke's token.

There was no denying it... This was all her fault.

She blinked back tears as she strained against the shadowy creatures keeping her restrained.

"Don't bother struggling," Akane advised her. "You've already lost."

"Hope will never stop fighting and neither will I," Clarke snapped, straining against his own semi-transparent captors.

His words nearly caused her to lose the battle with her tears—

He really believed in her...

Malivore smirked, taking in the scene.

"How interesting—even with your life hanging in the balance, you still choose her," he said, tapping the pouch around his neck.

"Clarke... What does he mean?" she asked, feeling her stomach drop.

He avoided her gaze, hanging his head low.

Akane broke out in laughter.

"Don't you know?" she asked. "If a golem's token is destroyed, they die—permanently!"

Pure dread seized her.

"You never told me," she whispered, tears now flowing freely; she could feel his guilt.

"It never mattered before—no one besides me ever cared if I lived or died," he said quietly.

"I care!" Hope shouted, voice cracking. "I've lost too many people I care about, I won't lose you too!"

"Thank you," he whispered. "For the record, I don't plan on losing you either," he said, breaking out into a lopsided grin.

She didn't know whether she wanted to kiss him or kill him.

"Bring them upstairs—I'll be waiting," Malivore said stonily before vanishing into thin air.

A jolt of panic coursed through her— He could use magic?

Hope looked to Clarke in confusion, but he seemed just as surprised as she did.

"Let's go," Akane said, beckoning the shadow figures to follow. She summoned several glowing, orbs of foxfire to light the way.

Hope shivered as the shadowy hands tightened their grip around her, half dragging her down the long hallway.

"What else has Malivore promised you?" Clarke asked.

Akane didn't answer, but Hope noticed the way her back stiffened at the question.

"He hasn't, has he?" Clarke asked. "He hasn't promised you anything new—you're just here because he hasn't fulfilled his end of the bargain."