Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter 27

(Hope)

It all happened in slow motion—Hope watched in horror as Malivore struck Clarke's token with the sword, causing it to shatter into tiny pieces and scatter across the floor.

"Ryan!" she screamed desperately as she watched him crumble to the ground. She felt a searing pain explode in her chest—it was as if the sword had somehow been driven through her own chest rather than the figurine's.

Hope felt her legs give out beneath her, causing her to fall to her knees.

"What have you done?" she gasped through the pain.

"What I should have done a long time ago," Malivore answered impassively, idly examining the tip of the sword.

She grit her teeth against the pain as she crawled to Clarke's side, reaching out to take his hand, hopelessly feeling for his pulse.

"It's time to fulfill your promise," she heard Akane say from behind her. "Release me from this prison," she demanded.

"Be careful how you speak to me, little fox, or you will meet the same fate as the dragon," Malivore answered, his expression darkening.

Suddenly, Hope felt a strange tingling sensation beneath her palm, accompanied by a familiar feeling of warmth.

Ryan?

She couldn't bear to take on false hope...

Akane snarled, tearing her attention away—in one swift motion, Akane bridged the distance between herself and Malivore and within the blink of an eye, six identical kitsune appeared where Akane had once stood alone.

Malivore leveled his sword at the central figure, eyes narrowing.

"Think about what you're doing," he warned. "Every one of these creatures would be eager to take your place in my good graces."

The plethora of monsters seated in the stands surrounding them grew restless at his words, chattering amongst themselves.

"Malivore has proclaimed himself king of this prison world!" Akane shouted, each version of herself speaking in unison, causing her words to echo strangely in the large space.

"He makes bargains and uses us for our abilities—but he does not keep his word! Look at what he has done to Huan!" she shouted.

Hope watched as the crowd's uncertainty seemed to increase— some creatures had begun to huddle in small groups, while others remained still and silent, watching the scene unfold.

Just then, Hope felt a faint flutter beneath her fingertips—It felt like a heartbeat...

Hope tentatively squeezed Clarke's hand—-please, please, please...

Akane began to circle Malivore, her illusions moving in perfect synchrony, making it impossible to tell which was the original.

"Enough!" Malivore sneered. "Gogmagog, seize Akane and take her to the dungeon!" he shouted.

The giant who had chained them earlier came lumbering into view—careful consideration in his eyes.

"How long have you had the sword?" the giant asked, his booming voice causing the giant stone pillars to shake.

"The sword is no longer your concern," Malivore answered sharply, a note of finality in his voice.

"The Sword of Light belongs to the giants," Gogmagog answered, his voice rising in anger.