7. Sweet Tooth

Nikolai

"What was that about?" Janet asked as she came and sat in the chair in my office.

Somehow I was able to keep my expression blank as I went and took a seat behind my desk. I couldn't believe I almost kissed Ryssa. I was caught up in the moment and all I could think about was what it would feel like. What she would feel like.

"What do you mean?" I asked. I was hoping that if I pretended not to notice what she was talking about, then she wouldn't keep questioning me.

If Janet knew about the almost kiss between Ryssa and I, no doubt she would try to start meddling. She has mentioned on more than one occasion since working with me that she was tired of seeing me without somebody.

She had tried more than once to set me up on a blind date. The first two times I ended up canceling. The third time however, I met a woman who misunderstood the whole arrangement and thought she was going on a date with the Janet.

After that, I told Janet that I appreciated her help, but to never, ever do that again.

"You saw her, Niko. She looked...Overwhelmed."

She wasn't the only one. I was definitely overwhelmed about what just happened. Ever since the night before, I had been wondering about what it would be like to kiss her. That was the main reason I locked myself in my office most of the day today. The more I saw her, the more I wanted her.

Janet cleared her throat when I didn't answer right away. My eyes met hers and I half shrugged, "I don't know, Janet. She brought me the receipts for the day and then she was running late. She said she was meeting someone or something tonight."

I knew pretending like I had no idea where she was right now or what she was doing, wasn't going to work. The way Janet was looking at me, she knew I was talking out of my ass.

"You sure you know what you're doing, Niko?"

Yep. She may not have known that we almost kissed, but she knew something happened between us. "I'm not doing anything, Janet."

She raised a brow. "That's exactly what I'm talking about. You aren't doing anything when you should be."

Why was she always so fucking intuitive? "Janet..." I warned.

"Fine," she said as she leaned forward against my desk, "then look me in the eye, and tell me that you don't have feelings for her."

I sucked my teeth as my eyes met hers. "I don't have feelings for her," I lied.

She waved my statement away. "If you don't have feelings for her, then I'm straight and like to sleep with men."

Janet was definitely not straight. I'll never forget the day that I hired her. She shook my hand and said, "You're sexy and all, but just a heads up: I don't do guys. But, I have a feeling we're going to be good friends." That was probably one of the few moments of my life that I was struck speechless.

I leaned back in my chair and folded my arms across my chest. "Even if I had a thing for her, and I'm not saying I do, it would never work. We are completely different."

She scuffed. "You and Ryssa could not be more perfect for each other."

My temper was starting to rise. I didn't like talking to people, let alone about my personal life. "Leave it alone, Janet. Nothing is going to happen with her."

Her expression changed when she finally said, "Why? Because you feel unworthy of her? Niko, I know how you feel about your past. But you've changed. You have a good heart."