Chapter Zero

King Leonard Solomon had never been a man to pray to the gods. Then again, there had never been many times where he needed to. Yet, in a time where famine struck violently and war toiled over the kingdom, Leonard did not have much of a choice but to get up on his knees and beg for an answer.

The last thing he expected was for a goddess to respond to his prayer. If only it hadn't been a serpentine in disguise. Leonard only wished for his kingdom's safety and for minimal casualties during the war with an opposing kingdom, but he soon learned, after the goddess had lent her power, that he had to kill a thousand of his men and women to give to her as a reward for her service. It took a lot of thinking and questions to the gods, who refused to answer his prayers, but Leonard spared his men and women and denied the goddess's demands.

Leonard knew that this was like playing with fire. He was picking a fight with the dragon goddess, Tiamat. He knew she was someone with a flaming temper and a vengeful attitude. Yet, he had to do what he could to ensure the safety of his followers.

With a psychic's help, Leonard got a clearer view of what might be the outcome of his past choices. It did not appear very appealing. Tiamat had surpassed forbidden boundaries and given power where it did not belong. It was utterly terrifying and he foresaw a gruesome ending to thousands of innocent lives, but then again, it was only a prediction. Leonard prayed it was only a prediction.

Soon, however, Leonard was led down a dangerous road. The rest of his family would find their demise because of the beasts that roamed the lands. He, himself, would meet his end with a monster that had saved his kingdom only years before— a dragon. It would be a bitter ending, but the king, before he was deceased, still refused to give away one thousand men and women. The power that Tiamat would have and the destruction she would cause would be unimaginable.