Chapter 4

She lay there under the stars for the first time in a long time. After she had told her story the family had told theirs. It was a sasd one, as it had only been the couple at the time. She had found out their names were Tan and Butch. They had just gotten back from their trip to Greece for their 5th year anniversary, excited since they were expecting their first cub, onoly to have misscarried a few months later. Soon after, the town had been bombed and draided. It had only been a few years ago that they had their son. They felt bad because he was growing up in a wasteland but they are blessed to have him at all. Their story ended at finding their companion and sticking with him, someone who had been in the army and survived the war. 

At this point she sighed and looked up at the moon, wondering if her mate was looking at it as well. For a while Alpha lay in her own little world, jumping slightly as an owl hooted in a nearby tree

"Stupid bird..." she whispered.

"I think the owl is one of the smartest bird." A deep husky voice came from her left and dangerously close. Jumping up, she moved quickly awwaya from him, her pistol drawn and already aimed at him, the dark not hindering her sharp eye sight. 

"Who are you?" she asked, catching Ghost moving quietly to the flank of the stranger

"I'm Zach, I'm travelling with Tan and Butch. You can put the gun down, you know, I'm unarmed."

"Unarmed or not anyone with the right idea and skill can kill another with their bare hands," she watched him carefully, knowing full what what he could do if she let her guard down for anymore than a few minutes. 

"So you've seen what can happen to the weak ones huh?"

"I haven't but my mate trained me, I only know what to do from memory." she mentally hit herself for giving away that information. Her eyes sweeped over his body, seeing he was unarmed she wanted to relax for a bit but didn't, the level of her gun never wavered. 

"Please put the gun down..." he stepped into the firelight, or what was left of it, his hands still up. Alpha held her breath as she studied his face. His right eyes was glazed over in a milky white haze, and scars covered his muzzle, one running from his brow, around his left eye to his cheek. Another stretching over the bridge of his nose. Her eyes fell to the patch on his arm sleeve. 

"You were an amry supplier..."

"I was, for only a short while though," his eyes followed the gun as she lowered it. Letting his hands settle at his sides, he watched her warily. "I was soon thrown into infantry because soldiers were dying quickly." He cocked his head at her as she droped her gun, only for her to rush at him, her hands grabbing hsi shirt.

"What company were you in?" She pulls him down, his face even with hers, her voice no more than a whisper. 

"I was in Echo 2/1 I was in that company last, before the war...ended," he watched her as her eyes filled with tears. "You...you look familiar." he watched as she let go and headed back to the fire. 

"My...my mate he was in FoxTrot 1/3 last I heard, he could have been switched." she sat by the fire, suddenly very cold. Stoking the fire up, she stayed quiet, not wanting to wake up Tan and her family. 

"He, don't cry, i'm sure he's okay, about a year or two into the war there were no more companies. Just one side against the other." He chances a hug and pulls her close. She leans on him, tears falling down her face into her cheek fur. 

They sat together for a while, her eyes becoming heavey, tired from the events of the day, as well as crying. Falling asleep she slips into a dream of her mate. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<3~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sweetie?" Alpha looks around not finding her mate anywhere.