PART 3 AMERICA

Chapter 4 The Honeymoon

The wedding party arrived at the check-in hall for the Cunard liner to find it crowded with over a thousand passengers and well-wishers, all talking in loud voices to try and make themselves heard above the din. Some looked tearful at the pending departure of loved ones; others joyful at the prospect of a holiday of a lifetime.

As Emily stood at the edge of the crowd, she noticed three police officers diligently scanning the throng. A cold rush of apprehension rushed through her: 'Are they looking for me or simply keeping the crowd in order? Oh golly! I've caught the eye of that one.'

She quickly looked away; it wouldn't do to draw attention to herself, especially in her wedding dress. She kept her head bowed and twisted her shiny new wedding ring nervously, fervently hoping that the policeman did not notice her. Walter, engaged in an animated conversation with his father about America, remained unaware of her anxiety.

When she dared to look up, her stomach tensed in fright as she saw the policeman walking directly towards them. Briefly, she contemplated running away and losing herself in the crowd but her feet seemed firmly rooted to the floor.

Suddenly, he stood towering in front of her: 'You bear a striking resemblance to the description I have of the girl reported missing in Halifax this morning. May I see your passport, please?'

She searched her mind for something to say in reply, then a sudden realisation dawned on her; 'I'm no longer Emily Watson'. She lifted her head as high as she could and looked the officer directly in the eye: 'I am Mrs Lingard. My husband here can vouch for that.'

She spoke slowly and with a haughtiness which surprised her; having never before used her married name, it sounded alien. An authoritative voice behind her interjected loudly: 'And I am her father in law and can confirm that is so.' the policeman looked at James and apologised: 'Sorry, sir. That is not the name I'm looking for.'

Emily watched fearfully as he walked back to his colleagues. Her heart started thumping even faster when she saw him in deep discussion with the other two policemen. What if they didn't believed her? 'Thank goodness the crowd is moving towards the dock, I'll soon be out of police scrutiny.'

The check-in labelled their steel trunks with the cabin numbers on their tickets and whisked them away out of sight. As she approached the gangway assigned to them, Emily suddenly felt faint and asked Walter if he could fetch her a glass of water. He hurried off, leaving her alone with his sister and she slumped down exhausted on someone else's trunk which was waiting to be loaded onto the ship.

Just then, a young ship's officer hurried over: 'Are you Mrs Lingard? You don't look well.' She nodded, too weary from lack of sleep to wonder how he knew her name.

'The Purser has asked me to escort you to your cabin. You've been upgraded to second class as a wedding present from your father in law. Please come with me.'

Annie gave a little clap at this news and pulled Emily up from the trunk. 'Come on – let's go and see what my dad's bought you!' she enthused.

Emily resisted. 'I need to wait for my husband,' she told the ship's officer. But Annie pulled her arm and assured her: 'Walter is with my father and will be sure to follow us as soon as they return'. Reluctantly, Emily allowed herself to be ushered towards the gangway of the huge ship.

The sheer size of the steamer, R.M.S. Scythia, amazed her. Its black hull, white superstructure and single red funnel topped with a black band towered above them as they approached the ship. Only an 'intermediate' 19,000 tonne liner, it had the advantage over larger ships of being able to dock in Boston, their destination in America.