ONE.

"we pretend that we don't care,
but we do care."

~

IT IS THE HOT SUMMER OF 1988, and a new girl is moving into the little town of gainesville, florida, with her family.

she wipes her brow with the back of her hand as her forehead beads with sweat, the suns rays cascading down upon her glowing skin and dark locks, as she carries a box of all her things. a box of her old home.

as she lets out a small sigh, brushing off her melancholy, she follows her mother into the new four walls and roof, her new home.

"oh darling, isn't it wonderful here?" her mother questions, hopefulness laced within her voice.

"mhm. when's andy getting here?" the new girl questions in her small voice, the one good thing about this new place is that her best friend lives here, who moved out of town about five years ago. although she saw him every summer, it was never enough.

"i'm sure he will be here soon." her mother, samantha, answered. "why don't you go see your new room dear?" she added, desperately trying to excite her daughter.

the new girl feels for her mother, she knows how badly she needs this new start. as best as she could, she gives her mother a smile, while nodding, she then starts for the stairs.

this house was much bigger than their last one, big walls with big windows, long, open corridors with lots of doors, who needs a house this big? she curiously questions.

after peering around the rooms, she finally finds her bedroom, a large room, on the second floor, at the front of the house, overlooking the street and the more, ever so beautiful houses opposite. she couldn't get over the new beauty of this new land, despite being away from home, it was like a dream world! trees towered behind the house and flowers grew all along the front, her bedroom also had a balcony. the classiest setting to write and smoke cigarettes, she thought.

the house also had a porch that went around the whole building, how relaxing for painting, the new girl continued to ponder in her blissful young mind.

although she missed home, and the people she left behind, at least not everything was too bad about this place.

"vi! come help your father with more of the things!" samantha called. she rolled her eyes and placed the box down on her bed. luckily, all her large furniture, like her bed, bookcase, desk, rocking chair and things had already been placed. but some moving around wouldn't hurt a bit, the girl continued to think to herself.

"darling!" her mother called once more.

"i'm coming!...god." she answered, finally leaving her new room and heading back down the stairs she came.

samantha had already started moving all their things into their new living room and kitchen. everything already began to look like it was in its place, like it had already been there for years. was it really that quick to move on from what once was?

"settled in yet kid?" her father, asked her, his face covered by the two boxes stacked on top of eachother ,that he was carrying.

"it's been ten minutes," she answered coldly, brushing off her fathers comment.

her father followed with a short "hm" before she slipped past him to go collect more of the things. it was so warm in florida, she had never felt such warmth, it almost comforted the new girl as she looked around at the bright colours of her new neighbourhood, it was quiet, quaint and held a calming feel to it.