Older Sisters and Brothers

(Above are characters Gavin 'Spinner' Mason, his friend Jay Hogart and Emma Nelson on Spinner and Emma's wedding day - Degrassi the Next Generation season 9)

(Emma)

"Gaea, I need to make an important phone call before I come on shift," I tell the front desk emergency room receptionist as I walk by the desk.

"Alright, but don't be too long," she tells me with a kind smile. "I'll be off soon, but I'll be back before your shift finishes tonight," she tells me. She could see the look of sadness on my face I'm sure, which is why she let me make the call after I left a sleeping Clare and her friends. I headed into the employee locker room, and took my phone out of my locker, finding Spinner's name to call him before moving toward the coffee maker. It rings twice before it's answered.

"Hello beautiful," Spinner answers when he picks up.

"Spin," I start with a shaky voice as I think about Clare.

"Em, what's wrong? Are you alright? What's going on?" Spinner says very quickly, with an edge of panic in his voice.

"No I'm alright, it's Clare, Spinner, she's here in the hospital and she's very sick. I saw her name and rushed right to her room when I arrived, but could only stay a few minutes before I start my shift. I told Gaea I needed to make an important phone call before I started my shift though. Will you call Jay, Peter and Lucas and let them know she's here please," I tell my husband as I sit on the couch with my coffee before I spill it because I'm now crying and struggling to see.

"Of course I'll call them. But I'm coming over as soon as I'm done. I want to check on you and Clare. How is she?"

"Thank you Spinner. She's in room 219 and she's got a few friends with her, but they're all very scared right now, and haven't been told much, and I don't know very much at the moment either. I don't know where her mom and step-father are. But I think she needs family right now and at the moment the group of us are the closest thing she's got, with Darcy still in Africa. Maybe you should try calling Jake too. He might know where her parents are."

"Alright, I'll make the phone calls, and then I'll be over, you get to work. I love you Emma," he tells me and blows a kiss through the phone.

"Thank you and I love you too Spinner," I tell him, blow a kiss back and hang up. I pour my coffee in the sink and toss the cup. It had gotten cold while I spoke to Spinner, and it never tastes all that good anyway. Then I put my phone in my pocket before entering the main hospital to begin my shift.

I deal with a few patients in the emergency ward, and doing my job the best I can, hoping that Clare will be alright. When I get a moment, I check Clare's chart for the name of the doctor treating her so I can talk to him. After all, her friends deserve to know what's going on, especially if her actual family isn't around. I see its Doctor Evans. I don't deal with him often unless I'm transferring a patient up to his ward, but the few times I've spoken to him, he's been very kind, and has a good bed-side manner. Much better than some doctors I've worked with.

I put Clare's chart back, without looking at it further. I'd rather hear any news directly from the doctor working on treating her. I'll speak to him the first chance I get, but I hope he'll be down to check on her again soon. Now I need to get back to work.

(OWEN)

"So as Clare had to deal with Eli's weird play, his bipolar diagnosis and him going on and off his meds with Imogen's encouragement, Clare was also trying to figure out her relationship with Jake. He went from the mean little boy who threw frogs at her, to being her boyfriend. Did you guys know, that Eli was jealous of Jake so he wanted to plant his meds in Jake's bag and tipped off the cops, but Imogen believed she could have Eli if Clare was out of the way, and planted the drugs in Clare's bag and Clare was almost arrested? Eli told the truth, but still."