Chapter 6

Usually, the higher up you are, the colder it is.

Yet as the lift descends, the atmosphere seemed to get icier for the two who were leaning at opposite ends.

Level 58

Tic.

What's that sound?

Level 53

Tic tic TIC.

No way, this is Park Industries, the lift won't break down when it's just me and him together, right?

Maybe I should press level 50 and get off.

Nah.

I would look like I'm scared.

So both Taehyung and Jungkook didn't move an inch from their spot.

Level 50

The sound of gears clicking stopped.

Thank god.

Then so did the lift. Their breaths hitched.

You must be kidding me.

A static silence filled the air as the fans powered down and the lights turned off.

With a curse under his breath, Taehyung switched on the flashlight function on his mobile and pressed for intercom on the button panel. 

"Hi, the lift stopped working. Please send help."

"We will contact the technician now. Please bear with us, sir."

"How long would that take?"

"At least 30 minutes, sir."

Thirty minutes with this asshole?

"... alright, thank you."

As Taehyung moved his phone, the flashlight shone over Jungkook's tight grip on the handrail.

What's going on?

He slowly shifted the light from Jungkook's hand to his face and he was shocked to see Jungkook biting on his bottom till it was white and eyes closed in... pain? Fear? Or both?

"Mr Jeon?" Taehyung softly asked.

Jungkook did not respond. He couldn't hear Taehyung over his loud and rapid heartbeat, or over his mind telling himself to calm down.

Why is it so quiet? Oh shit. I can't hear Jeon's breathing.

Taehyung closed the distance in a stride as he gripped Jungkook's shoulders.

"Jeon!"

Jungkook's eyes flew open in slight confusion. What? What's going on?

"Breathe. Come on, can you take a breath?"

Jungkook tried to say that he's breathing but he couldn't. Instead, he choked from the lack of oxygen and his eyes watered.

"Hey hey hey, it's okay, follow me."

Taehyung rubbed Jungkook's back soothingly and said, "breathe in."

Jungkook drew a stuttered breath.

"Breathe out."

"Breathe in."

Taehyung felt Jungkook losing strength in his legs and Taehyung supported his weight with a strong grip on his waist.

"You're doing good, breathe out now."

"Breathe in."

Less stuttering now.

"Breathe out."

They didn't know how long it took, but Jungkook was finally back to breathing more normally. Taehyung's eyelids fluttered in relief.

Exhaustion hit them like a truck as the adrenaline fades. They leaned their foreheads against each other subconsciously and neither moved, until Jungkook looked at Taehyung with the utmost sincerity and muttered, "thank you."

The lift doors opened.

Taehyung's phone was filled with missed calls and an angry message from Nickhun.