twenty-five

Ella's POV- January 2020

Dorm living was pretty cool since you got to interact with so many people. Unfortunately, when you have so many people living in one building, it becomes germ central. As much as I wanted to curl up and sleep, I happened to get sick during the first week of class. Yes, it was syllabus week, but I still had to be present. I toughed it out for the sake of keeping my spot in all my courses and did my best to not touch or interact with any of my classmates.

My parents freaked out and made me go see a doctor who recommended I not travel. Aly was also sick, so with a heavy heart, we canceled our flights to LA. The next time I'd see Gavin would be for Valentine's day, which also happened to be my birthday. It seemed childish, but I really missed him and it sucked that I had to wait two weeks to see him. When I told him I couldn't make it, he assured me it was fine, and I don't know why but I full-on cried to him via Facetime. It'd be a couple of weeks was what he said trying to comfort me.

"Where are you going?" I asked Aly after she stood up and slipped on her slides.

We had spent our entire day disinfecting our room. That meant that we had washed our bedsheets and any clothing item that we had worn while sick.

"I'll be back"

"Put on a sweater," I told her as she opened the door.

"I'm not going outside"

She rushed out before I could say anything.

"Okay," I mumbled.

I climbed up on my bed and turned my attention to the TV that was currently showing a live broadcast of US Nationals. It would have been nice to be there, but things happen for a reason, right? I just hoped we'd be there next year competing at the senior level. Lots had to happen though, and my body was going to hate me for what I was about to put it through. Our programs had to be ready and perfected by June and that would prove hard to do considering Enzo and I had school until early May. He had a thesis to write and I had class every single day this semester so there was going to be a challenge.

"Oh, Ella!"

I looked away from the TV as the door opened.

"Hey"

I gasped and nearly fell off my bed as I tried to make it as quick as possible to the blond by the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Gavin chuckled and easily caught me as I threw myself on him.

"You couldn't come to LA, so I came to you"

I wrapped my legs around his waist as the waterworks started.

"I missed you"

"I missed you too" I mumbled against his shoulder.

He kissed my cheek.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better" I answered.

"You look and sound better."

I unwrapped my legs from his waist as he set me on my bed.

"I still have a cough," I told him as I kissed his cheek and pressed my cheek against his as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He hummed as he gave me a gentle squeeze.

"That's normal though, coughs go away after two weeks"

I nodded against his cheek.

"Have you eaten?"

I shook my head.

"I brought soup"

Yum.

"For Aly as well"

I looked at Aly who wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"Thank you" I mouthed at her.

She waved me off and placed a large brown bag on her desk.

"What are you watching?"

"Nationals" I replied.

He turned his attention to the TV screen.

"That's ice dancing" I explained.

He glanced at me.

"You don't do that, right?"

Correct.

"I do not" I confirmed.

He nodded.

"So what's the difference?"

Aly laughed.

"Gavin, are you sure you want to go down that rabbit hole?"

He smiled.

"Yeah, Ella understands baseball. I want to understand her sport as well"

"Ice dancers do integrate footwork sequences and have to skate to a specific beat" I responded.

"What about pairs skating?"

"It's like a variation of single skating except lifts, pair spin and throw jumps occur," I said.

He looked away from the screen and took a deep breath.

"I'm going to be a nervous wreck, aren't I?"

Aly hummed agreeing.