Book I: The Vigilante

Chapter VI

https://youtu.be/Oe3IivmUK0A

     We enter into the hall, everything was a bright orange as the light from Hotland burst through the large paned windows. On them was the insignia of the Underground, the Deltarune. It was a circle with wings and three triangles underneath, one inverted. Monsters from all over the underground, dressed up in the fanciest of gowns and suits, were spinning around the floor. Dancing and twirling all over the floor. The sight had always made my heart skip a beat. It was so beautiful.

     A monster in a suit greeted us. His entire body was completely engulfed in flames, but that didn't concern me. He was just a fire monster. Actually, I knew who he was.

     "Grillby!" Dad responded enthusiastically. "How goes the burger joint? Business booming as ever."

     Grillby nodded, as he never spoke like everyone else, no one even knew why. However anyone who knew the various tongues of the Underground knew how to understand him. It was all in the cackles of his fire.

     It was customary for the King, Queen, and direct family to be the last to show. I took a look up at my mom, and she was already lost for words.

     She looked at me and smiled kindly. "Go mingle, my child. And enjoy yourself! But please... stay safe."

     I took the opportunity and walked around, listening in on the different hot topics and the gossip. It was all so... overwhelming.

     "Did you hear Hotland has increased in temperature by five degrees?" one monster stated.

     "Almost as hot as my wife!" another replied, followed by laughter.

      Even I let out a bit of a giggle as I walked over to a different table.

     "Did you hear? Two new monsters appeared in Snowdin!" A monster started.

     "Really? Well I suppose that's not unheard of.... After all, anything can come into the Underground, but nothing can leave."

     A third monster chimed in. "And not to mention some monsters went to different areas of the Underground, and we lose track of them all the time."

     "But even King Asgore doesn't know where these two came from!" the first one egged on.

     "Impossible! King Asgore knows all monsters!" the second one argued.

      "It's true!" a fourth one added. "They are two skeletons, they took over that abandoned house in Snowdin!"

      "Really? I thought the humans had killed them all...."

      At this point, I jumped into the conversation. Humans were a touchy subject for me, and most of the Underground knew that well.

     "Guys have you tried the hamburgers?! Grillby really knows how to keep the food coming!" I said cheerfully.

     They all jumped a bit at the sight of me.

     "Oh Princess! You've gotten so big!"

     They began saying the same phrases anyone hears when family members see them after any length of time. However I just stayed polite and had a decent conversation before deciding to move on.

     "The riverboat person said 'Beware of the man that speaks in hands.' Any idea what they mean by that?" one said.

     I was immediately disinterested and moved on to the next table.