Chapter 8

"Adriana, Adriana, please wake up, honey."

My vision was a blur as I opened my eyes. Where was I? Who was calling me? Suddenly, a figure appeared with dark hair, blue eyes. It was a bit blurry, but I thought that was him...

"Chris?"

"Adriana, finally! Thank God!"

I blinked several times till the image was clear. My hallucination was gone and confusion took over as I laid eyes on Matt. Had I dreamed it all? Was Chris just a figment of my imagination?

I shook the feeling off, claiming the thoughts to be a dream. "Matt, where am I?"

He took my hand carefully and I noticed tears in his eyes, "You've been asleep for two days now. You're in the hospital, oh, Anne..." he pulled my hand to his face as tears spilled over, "I was so afraid I was going to lose you."

My eyebrows dipped in puzzlement, "What are you talking about?"

He stared at me in shock, "You don't remember?" I shook my head and he sniffed, "I'm so sorry, Anne, it's my fault! You have been under so much pressure that..."

My eyes widened as the memories of a strange man taking Mariam away from me as I kneeled on the ground came back. Fear took over me, "Mariam! Where is she?"

He rubbed my arm, "She's okay, she's okay. She's out in the hall with Erin."

I relaxed a bit with a sigh, "Can I see her?"

He nodded and left my side. I rose up as he motioned for someone to enter. I smiled as Mariam stepped in and ran to me. I pulled her up onto me and hugged her tightly while kissing her face.

"Mommy! You're awake!" she exclaimed as tiny tears fell from her cerulean eyes.

I pulled her closer, "I'm so glad you're okay! I thought that man was going to hurt you! How did you get away?"

She wiped away her trails of tears, "A man came over to us and took me away, but continued to say that it was going to be alright, then he left me in his car and got you and brought us here!"

"A man?" I questioned.

She nodded quickly, "He was very nice! He said that you would be okay if I believed and I did, Mommy! I believed really hard! He was right; you're okay!" She paused and her face scrunched up with thought, then she smiled, "You know what?"

"What?" I smiled at her enthusiasm.

"It was the same guy as in those pictures where I got the bracelet!" she held out her wrist, dangling the charms.

My heart stopped, Chris was the man who saved my life again and comforted our daughter? How? How could it be possible? He was gone! He couldn't be back, could he? Why wasn't I told? Why hasn't he come to see me? Or even tried to talk to me? He must really hate me, but felt like it was his duty as a doctor to try and save me.

"Mommy? What's wrong?" Mariam stared at me with concern, "Aren't you glad that he saved you?"

I looked from her to the door where Erin and Brent stood, both looking down in guilt. I cleared my throat, "Yes, Sweetie. Uh, do you think I could have some ice?" I asked Matt.

He bobbed his head, "Sure, I'll go get it. I'll pick up some flowers for you, too."

"I want to pick Mommy out some flowers, too!" Mariam said as she got down from my bed and ran to Matt who took her hand.

"We'll be right back," he said as they left the room.

I covered my face in my hands then looked back to Erin and Brent. I stared at them, "Is it true? Is he back?"