Chapter 4

"Chris?"

"Oh, Adriana." From the corner of his eye he saw me flinch at not using the same kind tone, the friendly one he used too. "Look, I have to go."

He began to walk away when I grabbed his arm, "Wait!'

"What is it?" he tried to remain in a fierce tone. He was struggling, continuously he would go soft, and kept on going soft.

"I need to talk to you. It's really important." I said softly.

"No let me say this first. I'm sorry I'm hurting you, but you need to get through your head that what happened that night was a mistake! A stupid, stupid mistake! It should've never happened! We just got overwhelmed! It's my fault that I couldn't control myself! I know I should've, but it happened! It's over! It meant nothing to me! Nothing! You shouldn't love me because I don't love you! Here!" He roughly took my hand and put the bracelet I gave him into it, the bracelet of our friendship.

I stared down at it then looked back up at him. Tears exploded from my eyes and I ran away from him as fast as I could, to somewhere I could just break down and cry as much as I could.

Dixie's greenish brown eyes stared up at me with concern. How long had I been sitting there on my bed, simply crying? How many days had passed since I had just given up and barricaded myself in my room? I had gone to school looking like a wreck. I would hesitate every time Rick would talk to me. It had been a couple of weeks since I had seen or talked to Chris. I sighed. Time didn't matter, nothing mattered, and my heart was broken. I felt as though if someone touched me, I would crumble to a million pieces. I open my fist that had been clenched so long that my knuckles had turned white. There lied a bracelet, 'the' bracelet. I had given it to Chris as a token of the friendship I thought would never end. How stupid was I? I even believed that he could love me like I loved him. I'm such an idiot!

I knew that he blamed himself for that night, but he shouldn't have. I wanted it to happen. I wanted to be with him so bad. Not just because of over active hormones. I truly loved him. I knew he would be the only man for me to ever love, but he doesn't love me. It hurt so badly when he said those things. How can the fact that we made love not mean a thing to him when it touched the very deep of my soul? Guess that what they say is right, it's not the same for a guy as it is for a girl. I clenched the bracelet once more. "I feel so alone." I whispered as a silent tear trailed down my cheek. Suddenly, I heard a meow and looked down at Dixie. I picked her up and gave her a weak grin, "At least I still have you, Dixie." She nuzzled my chin. Even thinking about how I got her made me upset. The more I looked at the kitten; the more tears escaped my eyes.

I glanced at the phone. I had to call and tell him, he deserved to know. I picked up the phone and dialled his number. I counted the rings until I received the answering machine with a very surprising message: 'Hi, you've reach Chris Demos, and in two days this number will be disconnected because I have moved to England to begin my studies at Medical School. No need to leave a message.'

Tears spilled over as I dropped the phone back on the hook. Now what was I supposed to do? I need help! I'm so scared, no, I am terrified! I haven't told anyone. I need Chris! I need him now! I love him! I collapsed on my bed as newly found tears soaked into my pillow.

"Adriana." I heard the door screech open and gazed up.

I wiped the tears quickly from my eyes and sat up, "Ewan, what do you want?"

His face was so solemn, so serious, "I know, Adriana."

I turned away, "What are you talking about?"

The thirteen-year-old boy rubbed his hand through his sandy hair, "I know about the pregnancy test."

My eyes snapped back to him and widened, "What, how?"