vii. what she lost

When Taylor woke the next morning, the campsite was deserted, save for Elias who sat in one of the camp chairs, his fingers tapping a slow rhythm on the canvas-like material. He looked up when she stepped out. "You're awake."

"Later than I planned." She squinted against the brightness, even though the sky was a solid gray. The air smelled like rain, the ground moist from the night's light showers. She hadn't had a pleasant night at all, waking up constantly between dreams, and yet somehow she'd managed to sleep in late.

Pushing away her annoyance with herself, she set her pack down on one of the camp chairs and zipped up her jacket. There was still a bit of food left in the pan over the camp stove; Elias offered it and she snagged a piece of bacon before turning her attention to rearranging her backpack. 

"Sierra and her students are already at the dig site," Elias said, watching her with mild interest.

"Why aren't you with them?"

He shrugged. "Waiting for you. Besides, she said something about putting me to work entering records onto the computer."

Taylor squatted and unzipped the bag in front of her. She began to pull out the contents. "Ah. Not exactly the most interesting activity out there."

"I think she's just trying to keep me out of the way."

"You've been on digs before."

"Yeah, but I'm not one of her students, or an archeologist. So I don't exactly have permission to help with the actual digging."

"Mm. I'd say you know just as much as those college students." Taylor held up the thermal shirt that had been buried at the bottom of the bag. Did she really need it? It was just taking up extra space. She tossed it on one of the other chairs. The mini survival kit was next—she kept that, stuck it at the bottom, then started to pile other things on top.

"Are you going to help them?" Elias asked.

She paused, knowing what he was referring to. "I can't make things easy for them, can I? Besides, I might reveal my secret. You found out easily enough."

"They already know something's up," he pointed out. "I heard the four of them whispering about it this morning. They want to know what we dug up. How... How you knew it was Dad."

Taylor sat back on her haunches and closed her eyes. "I'll have to tell them eventually. Sometime. Maybe later tonight."

"Aren't you going to help with the dig? Why not tell them then?"

Taylor shoved the rest of the items into the pack and zipped it shut. She stood, heaving it over her shoulder and wincing at the sudden weight.

Elias stood. "Want me to carry that for you?"

She waved him off. "I'm fine. You've probably got your own stuff to carry." Adjusting the straps, she rolled her neck, hearing it crack. "Ooh, I'm getting old."

"You still didn't answer my question." Elias was pinning her with his dark gaze, lean features pulled into that stubborn look. She remembered when she had first seen him do that, all those years ago. The look hadn't changed.

She hesitated. "I didn't? Remind me what it was."

"Are you gonna help Sierra with the dig? Like, lecture the students and shovel dirt and stuff?"

She shook her head. "I'll stop by for a couple minutes, then I'm off to cover every inch of the island."

The crease between his eyebrows deepened—a crease that hadn't been there until two years ago. "You're really going to do it?" His voice was flat.