Chapter 4: Starry Night

Angelie followed Mr. Roberts, the Astronomy Club teacher, and the rest of the Club to the roof. They passed through many upward stairwells until they finally reached a door leading onto the actual flat expanse of concrete they were supposed to meet on. They all had flashlights and tool them out, the fluorescent beams piercing through the night air to create a misty effect.

    Everyone else was chattering amongst themselves while Angelie was a straggler at the back of the group. It felt good for her to be there, breathing in the clear, fresh air for herself alone and relaxing in it. She sighed to herself and closed her eyes contentedly; she was so glad she had been able to come, or else she would have missed this wondrous experience.

     Of course, it took effort to get to this point. With the Club's night schedule being slightly "shady", especially for a teenage girl, it took a fair share of discussion with her mom before she had permission:

     "Honey, are you sure?" Angelie's mother asked, looking Angelie in the eyes as she continued cleaning the kitchen. Angelie shrugged, picking at a few straggling pieces of thread from her oversized sweater.

     "I mean, it would be a good experience..." she tried, her hope sinking as she left those words dangling in between them.

     "Honey, I just want you to be safe. I mean, I know you're with a group, but you don't feel uncomfortable being out at night? You don't do that often," her mother sighed, stopping to look Angelie dead in the eyes. There it was; the familiar worry that strained her mother's every gaze every time they talked. She had that flicker in her eyes ever since Mary died, and Angelie was sick of it.

     "No, really, it will be a good experience. I'll get to learn about the stars and space and all of that. And I'll make new friends," Angelie delivered, pasting on her brightest smile. "Honestly, don't worry about me so much. This'll help me."

     Her mother smile back at her, barely suppressing a clear sigh of relief. "Alright. But just remember to stay safe; anything can happen."

     Angelie was relieved; she had achieved her goal and wasn't entirely lying. There was at least one person she was counting on seeing...

     Angelie smiled at the memory, opening her eyes to take in the sight of the cobalt sky and catch up with the group. They were up ahead on a wider expanse if roof where they all stood, murmuring to themselves. Mr. Roberts stood on his tiptoes in front of the group, trying to make himself look taller. After a quick headcount, he cleared his throat.

     "Alright everybody, you've all got your flashlights, right?" The whole group went silent and nodded, and so did Angelie, feeling the weight of the device in her hand.

     "Alright, on the count of three, turn off your flashlights. 3... 2...1!"

     The absence of light was filled in with audible gasps of shock and wonder, and it was rightfully so. The light, like city lights, had obscured the dimly lit stars in the sky from view, and now they were abundantly visible. It was the most familiar, cliche type of view someone could see, but it still took Angelie's breath away, her mouth gaping.

     "Today we're just going to take a look at the sky and observe, so just chill," Mr. Roberts smiled, stepping down and mingling amongst the students. Angelie settled to going over to the edge of the roof, sitting with her legs swaying down. She gazed up at the dark canvas of sky, now speckled with enough stars that the black color was the minority.

     A familiar figure sauntered over and sat down beside her, pulling her from her marveling state. He was here now, although he hadn't said hi to her in the crowd. She looked at him with a skeptical eye, and he chuckled.

     "Calm down, I'm not here to distract you from your muse," he smiled, and she let a small smile slip out. 

     "Then what are you here for, Mr. Space Nerd?" she asked playfully, heat creeping into her cheeks as he smiled wider at her joke.

     "Well," he stood up and grabbed something from behind him, bringing it over, "I have this." He held a telescope folded in on itself, and he beamed like it was a bar of gold.

     "Ah, I see, so tonight you are Mr. Prepared," she commented, and Taylor let out a full laugh. He stood up again, fully extending the telescope to its full length. He waved her over after he positioned it, and she accepted. "Here, just look through..." he guided her right eye to the telescope and fixed the positioning of the lens.  

     Angelie knew she had seen this view before, but that didn't make it any less amazing. Her chest filled with wonder and smiled a genuine smile. Hot blush started to creep onto her face as she felt Taylor's hand resting ever so slightly on her back, but she focused on the spectacular view instead.

     "Amazing, huh?" Taylor commented, and Angelie pulled away nodding excitedly. He smiled back at her them took his turn to gaze at the array of bright speckled colors, leaving Angelie looking at him. The way his long hair grazed his cheek, how his eyes sparkled in reaction to the scenery, just everything about him.

Angelie would remember this moment forever.

____________________

President's Day special!! Maybe? Er, well...

I know I haven't been here that much; I'm just going through a bit of a tough time, so excuse me for that please.

And that's why I would like to thank everyone who's read this story so far! Even though it's been slow development, you have at least stayed on track with the story. So thank you for that (along with the stars :D)

We even got a few rankings too :)

So anyway, I'll see you guys soon, so have a good time wherever you are

~JAPEGB