FIVE

The walk away from the cafeteria somehow felt different than the one to it, Jimin found.

They hadn't been there for too long, yet Jimin had opened up to Taehyung in a way he wasn't used to. They had talked about things he wasn't used to.

Before, Taehyung was just a guard. An unfamiliar, somewhat odd guard, but a guard nonetheless. After having had such a real conversation with him, Jimin suddenly viewed him as a person, with thoughts and feelings.

A person with layers and complexities.

As soon as the pair left their table, Taehyung's eyes were once again everywhere, prepared for anything. His attention was redirected to Jimin's safety.

Of course, Jimin was grateful for it. The swift change of priorities was fascinating to watch. Taehyung's gaze being everywhere, prepared for anything, was comforting.

Yet Jimin kind of wished it would've stayed fixed on him.

"Are you okay?" Taehyung asked when registering Jimin massaging his temples, his face contorted in pain. The pair had just entered the elevator that would take them down to the building's parking garage.

"Oh yeah, don't worry."

This is not your job, Taehyung, Taehyung thought to himself. Let it go.

"You sure?" he said, disregarding his own thought pattern.

"I'm fine, Taehyung. I'm just a little tired, that's all."

Let it go, Taehyung, Taehyung kept thinking. Keep the guy safe and leave the rest alone.

"Want me to call Manager Kim?"

For god's sake.

"Taehyung. I'm fine."

Jimin watched as Taehyung redirected his gaze to the elevator doors in front of them, a blank expression on his face.

"Thank you, though..." he added, still observing Taehyung.

His dark, soft-looking hair, resting securely on his head. His big, rounded eyes, one of them mono lidded, the other not. His full, refined lips. Taehyung's lips... 

Snap out of it, Jimin.

"Just don't die, okay?" the full, refined lips responded, "I don't want to be unemployed."

"I'll do my best. Your highness."

With two wide grins, two muted chuckles, and one forgotten headache, the pair left the elevator.

"By the way-"

Jimin was interrupted mid-sentence by Taehyung suddenly silencing him. His left arm instinctively went up to keep Jimin back. The latter cast a quick glance around the area but did not register anything out of the ordinary. He heard a few distant sounds, maybe voices, but couldn't see anyone.

Taehyung, however, was frozen in his spot. His eyes were slightly widened, and his entire body language suddenly appeared defensive, as if he knew something was wrong. As if he had heard something alarming.

Jimin shot a confused look his way, before speaking up.

"Why are you-"

This time, Taehyung did not settle for verbally silencing him.

His free hand rapidly found its way up to Jimin's face, determinedly covering his mouth.

Although Jimin couldn't understand why Taehyung was taking to such superfluous actions just because of a few voices, the sudden gesture quietened him down right away.