one 🏐

"Speed two, flash!"

Kageyama stood on attention at the familiar words, the voice both a scare and a surprise to him. Ichi-senpai? The last he heard of those instructions was two years ago, in the Kitagawa Daiichi gymnasium. The flashbacks of the laborious training with his senior flooded his mind. It forced an involuntary shiver out of him.

She wasn't expecting to see her former student here at the training camp. Given that Miyako didn't really know where Kagayema Tobio went to high school to, she wasn't thinking that it'll be this small of a world.

It was one of the few moments the Karasuno volleyball team had seen their setter act so awkwardly. Kagayema ran off towards the voice that called out to him and bowed so deep Hinata thought he'd hit the ground with his forehead—he kind of hoped it will. "Ichi-senpai!" Kagayema greeted his senior.

"I suppose it's long time no see for us, Kageyama-kun." Since moving to the city, Miyako hasn't seen nor met with anyone from her hometown. Kageyama was the first face. Her eyes traveled to the embroidery on his jacket. "Karasuno? What happened with your Shiratorizawa bragging?" It was meant to be a playful jab but the boy shifted his gaze downwards, seemingly embarrassed. Miyako guessed that it was a delicate topic. "But I at least figured you'd go to Aoba Johsai like the rest of the team."

"I was thinking the same thing for you, senpai. What are you doing in a Tokyo High School?"

Miyako can only shrug. She did disappear after graduation and only told her close friends where she'll be going. "Things happen." Peering over his shoulder, she noticed the rest of Kageyama's teammates' attempts at eavesdropping on their conversation. "I think your team's waiting on you."

They were on their way back to their dormitory for a short break before continuing with the practice matches—after the match that Kageyama and Hinata participated the moment they arrive. Kageyama told Miyako to stay put and he jogged back to his team. He slipped his sling bag off his body and toss it to Hinata. "I'll see you later in the gym." He bowed to his seniors before going back to his mentor.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

"I didn't teach you those speed sets just for you to use only the quicks!" The tone and mood of their conversation shifted and Kageyama was now receiving an earful. "Did you think that was the only kind of set you need?"

Once upon a time, Kageyama did think so. For all the talent he has, getting blocked was always his greatest fear. He had to think fast, do faster. And so he stuck with the quick sets Miyako taught him and made it his weapon. But he developed a new fear when he was wielding it and he never thought he'd use it again—until Karasuno. And until Hinata.

"I'm sorry, senpai!" He can only apologize now. He could say that he has changed since then but Kageyama knew he still has a long way to go.

Miyako has heard of Kageyama's career ever since becoming a regular in Kitagawa Daiichi. Her underclassmen friends had reported to her what her student was doing. The boy had made quite a reputation for himself.

"King of the court? Dictator?" She shook her head in dismay. "Just how bad were you?" With the words, his eyes shifted to the ground again, avoiding her gaze. Two years later and her tongue was as sharp as ever towards her junior. "But that's irrelevant. You're in Karasuno now. And from what I've watched earlier in your match, those guys keep you grounded."

There weren't any name visible on Miyako's jacket and Kageyama has been wondering what school she goes to. He wasn't very well briefed with the schools attending the summer camp since he was busy worrying about the tests then. "What school do you go to, Ichi-senpai?"

"Kurokishi High School."

"What are you doing here at the training camp?" From what Kageyama can remember from Coach Ukai's briefing of the camp, the three days were solely dedicated to the different Tokyo high school boy's volleyball team. "Are you a manager on your boy's volleyball team?" But that would mean that she's not playing volleyball herself and Kagayema couldn't even imagine that.

To be fair, even Miyako didn't understand her role in this training camp. Just like Karasuno, they were a wildcard school in this year's camp. Though they were situated in Tokyo, Kurokishi High isn't known to be an associative school. They weren't the ones to instigate practice matches with other schools and when invited, they rarely accept the invitation. It's like they pride themselves with their reclusiveness and this hermit-like character of the school were oftentimes rewarding in events.

It was Fukurodani Academy that invited Kurokishi High to the training camp, and with a special request to go along with it—Ichihashi Miyako has to participate in the camp. Miyako can't seem to think what's so special about her to be a deciding factor on a school invitation but both the coaches of the girls and boy's volleyball team pushed her to accept it. They told her that it'll be the best case for her condition—that it'll show her an unadulterated side of the sport she'll be deciding to let go forever. The words didn't exactly convinced her but she supposed that the training camp would be a proper place to say her goodbyes.

"A manager?" They didn't really specify her part in the team. She'd only been told that she should participate in the camp, nowhere did they say she should play. And so she won't. Besides, it wouldn't be appropriate. These guys were not her weight class. But she was left with a task for the first day and a half of the camp and managing would be a near descriptive word for it. She'd been managing the volleyball team for the entirety of her stay in Kurokishi anyway but "babysitting" would be a more fitting word. "You could say that."

They've circled back to the gym and all the teams were doing warm ups from every corner of the court. Matches were about to begin again.

"I should go back to my team," Kageyama bid her farewell. "I look forward to our teams' match."

Miyako tilted her head to look behind Kageyama where the schedule of today's matches were posted. 16:00 - After Break. Karasuno High School versus Kurokishi High School. She smirked unknowingly. "No need to look further. We're taking you on now."