A Stretch From Normalcy

"No, I don't care!" Sylvie screamed, jumping off of the stretcher she'd been sitting on, trying to push past Severide and Boden's arms pushing her back from entering the structure.  "I don't care what she's done. She's still my mother. He's still my partner, and he , " Brett continued, gesturing in the other general direction, " is still my boyfriend!" 

She kept struggling, kept pushing, but the squad lieutenant and chief overpowered her, and gave an unseen Foster a thumbs up to sedate Brett. It was the only choice that they had- If they didn't, Brett would hurt herself. 

"Chief, if we can't pull both of them out, and I can't let anyone in. We've run out of ideas here. What should we do?!" Otis's voice yelled over the radio.

Boden closed his eyes. He had to make a decision, and now. He looked over at the now sedated Brett. He knew what he had to do. 

-------------------------------

Nearly three months ago... 

"Sylvie!" a voice called out to Brett, as she stood in Casey's office, just as she had the day before. Captain Casey, that is.

She shook herself out of the stupor she'd been in; She'd been thinking about the letter from her mother she had opened the previous night in Casey's apartment.

No, not her "mother." Ok. That wasn't very clear. Her BIRTH mother. Brett had been adopted when she was very young, so it was only natural that she was surprised when she found out that the woman she'd grown up with wasn't the same woman that gave birth to her. By the time she'd found out about her being adopted, Sylvie was already old enough to understand what it meant.

"Sylvie. Are you there?" Casey asked, "you were telling me what you wanted me to do with this letter, and then you kind of just spaced out."

"Yeah- Sorry about that Casey," Brett said a little shy and embarrassed, "Can you throw it away for me? I already have the address down and everything."

Brett didn't, but she didn't want to admit that to Matt.

Knowing Casey though, he could probably see right through her lie of saying she'd written the address down. Through a bottle of beer, she might've admitted to Casey that she still wasn't sure she wanted to see her mother.

She'd left her in the hands of some stranger, so why want her back now? It didn't make any sense, and it most definitely seemed kind of shady, at best.

The rest of the day that followed leaving Casey's office was pretty much like any other at Firehouse 51, with some exceptions, of course.

But other than the little moments of -

Mouch and Cruz fighting over Mouch's spot on the couch- which yes, Cruz intentionally stole his spot just so they could cat fight with each other

and Ms. Stella Kidd burning up the best pot in the kitchen because Kelly had been standing next to her while she cooked- Great recipe for disaster, since the two of them ended making out... and leaving the pot on the stove that Brett had to caaaassuuuallllyyy slip by to turn off the stove before the lovebirds' kiss literally became fire.

Not that that would've been a problem, since they were a firehouse after all- the fire would've been put out in seconds.

- The day had been the same as any other second shift watch at the firehouse.

They'd reached the end of the their shift at about 7 that night- third shift was always late, gosh.- Sylvie with Emily and Cruz started to head towards Emily's car, as they all carpooled to work together- when a man walked up, very directly, no hesitation, right towards Brett.