When It Catches Us

She lay on her bed in the Crotis apartment, staring at the ceiling. She still had the letter from her birth mother, and hadn't plan to really do anything with it and let her mind decide when it wanted to act on whatever it wanted to for the letter.

Brett sat up. She couldn't lie down anymore. She was getting sick of the bed. And besides, she really wanted eggs. Casey, Foster, and Kidd had invited her to go eat breakfast after shift, and all Sylvie had said was that she had to do something at home and then maybe she'd head over to where they were eating breakfast. But she had found herself lying on her bed instead, contemplating whether she should try to reach out to her birthmother, and just talk.
After all, it had been her that had wanted to meet her mother on her own terms.

Although in a way, that had already been violated. Sylvie felt like she'd been robbed of that notion to make her own decision to meet her mother on her own time. It was something that would've had a better first impression on Sylvie if she'd been given the chance to meet her birth mother on her own terms, instead of having to have been called out to a call that was her mother directly requesting her.

Brett picked up the phone, remembering her "maybe" to going out to breakfast with the girls and Casey- Why Stella insisted on inviting Casey was beyond her- and called Foster.

Foster picked up on the third ring.

"Hey girl! was still wondering if you were coming!" Brett was greeted.

"Yes, yes I am- Is everyone still there?"

"Yeah, I think," Foster responded, "Although I think Kidd had to go to the bathroom. She thinks she can pull a prank on me if I'm distracted. Well I'll see you in-"

Foster was cut off by the sound of a startled Casey saying, "Hey, I thought that was meant to be for Foster!"

Brett laughed, and told Foster that she'd be there in a couple of minutes.

There was something about Stella dating Casey's best friend that made Stella and Casey such good coworkers and friends on and off the job.

It was like a good chemistry, but not the lover kind. They were always super playful with each other, but again, according to Foster, the 'real chemistry is with you, Brett! Jump the guy already!'

She hadn't realized she'd been silently imitating Casey until she realized she was putting her hands down.... And then she turned bright red, the smile refusing to come off of her face.

'Anyways' she muttered to herself, as she  grabbed her coat and rushed out the door as quickly as she could, head down, praying that no passerby saw just how red her cheeks were.

--------------------------------------------------------

Kidd caught sight of Brett walking through the door, and ran up to her to give her a big hug.

"Oh, thank god your here!" Foster called from behind Kidd, "Maybe you can tell this wild card here to stop requesting weird toppings on the side for each of our foods."

Brett laughed, and smiled at Kidd as she was pulled by her hand to the table where Foster was standing at.

Casey gestured at the seat next to him.

"I ordered stuff for you, based on what your partner and Kidd thought you'd like."

"It was all Casey." Kidd whispered as she brushed past Sylvie to go sit next to Foster on the other end of the table.

Literally less than five minutes later, Foster practically dragged Kidd out of her chair to go retrieve Brett's meal from the counter. Sylvie insisted that she go get her own breakfast, but it seemed like the girls had insisted that Brett and Casey get their alone time.