Chaptah 1

CHAPTAH 1

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

This question put a teeny tiny bit of doubt at what I was about to do next. The biggest decision I have yet to make in my entire life that will change everything. What will await my future lies within my answer right now. My mom is at the door looking at her with eyes full of concern.

"Definitely, yes," I said with resolve while I packed the last things in my backpack.

"Why?" Mom asked now moving towards me.

"Because I want to help you out pay all our debts."

"But we do fine with what we have in our small business."

"Mom, I heard what Mr. Brooke told you yesterday. We only have three months to pay the rent or else he would kick us out," I said exasperated but still trying to keep her calm.

"I'm sorry you have to hear that, child. But you shouldn't worry about it. I can handle it; you should focus on studying."

"No, Mom. I'm going to help you. Besides, it's going to benefit the both of us."

"But..." she protested.

"It is okay, Mom. I have a plan. You just have to trust me on this." I reassured her.

"I guess you have already made up your mind. I'll just say that you should take care of yourself." Mom said finally giving up to my decision.

"Thanks, Mom. And don't you worry a lot. I don't want to return to see your face getting older from thinking of me too much." I said as I head to our front door.

"I'm proud to have a child like you, Mave." Mom said dearly. I breathe in deeply and said, "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, darling. Take care always and don't forget to call when you get there. 'Kay?" and then she pulled me in for a warm big hug. "Okay, Mom. I should probably leave now. Bye."

"Bye."

I can still see that she is looking and the tears from my eyes started to well up.

I'm seventeen and this is the first time that I'm ever leaving home for a very long time and it's still a long way before I reach my destination.

I breathed in deeply.

My journey begins right here, and I hope that it will be a good one.

I arrived ten minutes before the departure time in the train station. The train is nearly full at this time of the year because school is about to start and every student will be hurrying back to the city. So I searched for an empty seat and luckily found one in the middle near the window on the left side of the train. I happily drag my bag there when a guy suddenly cut in. Before I knew it he was already seated where I was supposed to be.

"Hey!" I snapped at him.

"Oh, what's up?" he said calmly while looking at me with a cool glaze.

"In case you haven't noticed, you are sitting on my seat."

"Hn. The last time I've checked, there is no name attached to this seat. Thus making it available for anyone, just like me, to sit on." He said in an as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

"Well, Mr. Whoever You Are, isn't it rude of you to not offer a lady that seat?" I emphasized the words lady and seat.

"Not really. I thought you're a dude."

Now I'm really pissed off. But before I could do anything, the train operator announced that the train is about to leave and reminded us to take a seat.