The Placement

I ran home the night of the Testing. I couldn't believe what had happened to me. Out of all people, I least expected myself to be a Irregular. I laid in bed that night, thinking of the worst to come. What would happen if the society found out? Would I live? Would my family live? Would they even be safe with me around? I'm scared, I'm really really really scared.

Today is the day. Today is the Placement, where all the teens have a choice to be a Kin, Rutopian, Restless, Intelligence, and Truth. "I'm excited, aren't you?" my anxious brother asks. "Nope, I'm really nervous, only because I know I won't be coming back home at the end." My brother looks at me blankly, " Yeah, me too."Our parents gather us. " No matter what, we will always be here for you guys." says our parents. " We don't want to pressure you to choose Kin, so do what's best for you", our mother tells us. We end the conversation and leave the house. My family and I walk to the Building of Fairs in speed. The city of New York is on edge. As we walk into the building, we hold each other's hand. We take a seat in the auditorium as names are being called out to slice their hand and choose their faction with blood.

" Winnstead Greene !", my brother's name was just called. He looks at me unsure and scared, we stand and hug him as he walks to the stage. He picks up the blade and cuts his hand, he looks down, and puts his hand over the Intelligent's bowl. The blood drips down from his pale hand, and falls into the bowl. That's final, his decision has been made. He's an Intelligent now. He takes a seat with them in their section, for no remorsefulness. I shudder in breath, because I know that I'm next.

" Cristina Greene" I squeeze my fathers hand as I realize I won't see them again. I hug them, one final hug. I walk down to the stage. I pick the blade up and slice my hand. I put my hand over Kin, but the blood wouldn't fall. Maybe this is a sign maybe I'm not meant for it. I move my hand and put it over the Restless's bowl. The blood drips into the bowl and the cheer in excitement. I'm a Restless now. I look back to see my mother and father in awe. There's nothing I can do now. I'm a Restless now. I walk over to their seating section. I'm welcomed with high fives and hugs. I feel at home, I feel at ease, but I certainly feel horrible for leaving my parents like that. But I have to do what's right for me... right?