Neel

Sun's rays illuminated his very dark room. He lay asleep on his bed, tear tracks visible on his cheeks. He clutched a frame close to his chest. As he peeled his eyes open, his hold on the frame tightened.

He got up rubbing his eyes, brought the frame up and smiled at her picture. He stretched his arms and left to get ready.

"Neel you never take care of your things. I bet you wouldn't find anything in this mess if I wasn't here." Her beautiful voice echoed in his ears as he looked at his thoroughly messed up room. Hardly anything was in its place.
"You're right, Avni. But why would I ever let you leave me?" He would ask winking and she would look at him with her mouth agape in disbelief.

He couldn't help but laugh softly at that particular memory. He was truly hopeless and they both knew it. He shook his head and walked to the dining table where he saw Bebe taunting his mom as usual. His father just sat there with his head in the palm of his hand. Neela ma wasn't there. Hmmmm...

"What is this about?" He whispered to his dad, who just shook his head and rolled his eyes. Neel controlled his laughter by biting his lip. By the time the women were done arguing, he was done with his breakfast and was about to leave for the Police Station. "Tillu? When did you come?" His mom asked. "15 mins ago" "Liar. 15 mins and I didn't even notice you?" "Pretty much?" He said and before his mom could pull his ear, he ran out of the house and breathed in relief as soon as he settled in the car.

"Tumhara kya karun main Neel?" She would ask. "Bas pyar karo." He spoke aloud. As soon as he realised he had, he came back to his senses. He had never given her that answer. Even though he had loved her even before they got married, he hadn't known. And when he did, he never got to express it to her before the Rang Mahal drama.

He still remembered all those tears that she had shed when he took her in his arms for the first time since she had gone to the accursed place. His heart had cried with her.

As he parked the car outside the Police Station, it struck him just how much he relied on Avni for everything. He had so many memories with her at every place he spent his time at. His no, their room, their house, their bachelor pad, his cabin, Ali's cafe. Everywhere.

He shook his thoughts away and opened the door to his cabin and sat on his chair. DD came in and saluted him. Now an inspector, DD was respected and admired for his bravery and loyalty to Neel and thus the police force. "Sirji, Neela auntyji ka call hai. Bol rahi hain ki urjent hai."

"Ma ka call? Lao do." Neel responded. "Kya baat hai ma? Kya hua? Aap theek to ho na?" "Haan Neel, main theek hoon. Avni ka call aaya tha." "Avni? Ma Avni theek to hain na? Use kuch hua to nahi?" "Neel. Neel. Shant ho jao bacha. Kuch nahi hua use. Theek hai wo" "Fir? Aap uska zikr aise hi to nahi karoge. Kya hua ma?"

"Neel wo Avni Mumbai vapas aa rahi hai. Hamesha ke liye."