Neel

When he recovered from the initial shock, he found himself getting both ecstatic and intimidated of what this could mean for him. "When?" Is what he could ask. "In an hour or two. She boarded the flight yesterday." And she abruptly disconnected the call because she knew he would need some time.

Neel found himself torn between going to the airport and staying away from his love. After a lot of contemplation on his part and a call to Neela ma, he decided that though he would go to the airport, he would not come in front of her. He left for his house to get changed into casuals so as to not draw attention to himself. He got into the car and drove off to the airport.

As he stood in the waiting gallery, he, for the first time since left the Police Station, allowed himself to be overwhelmed by emotions. Pain, that he had embraced the very day she left; Helplessness, that had engulfed him the moment Juhi had told him abut their apparent daughter; Loss, that had almost killed him and Suffocation, he felt oddly suffocated by her absence in his life. One new feeling had just been added to this avalanche of emotions. Anticipation. Even though he had already lived this day , the one when she came back, a thousand times over; he was very nervous now.

Impatiently, he waited to see her. His eyes aching to take her in. To check for any changes in her and adapt just as soon. The announcement for the arrival of her flight was made. He saw Neela ma come in and walk to the front of the crowd, searching for her beloved daughter in the upcoming rush. 

Neel hid at the back so that he could see her but not the other way round. When he looked up after taking his place, he felt himself freeze at the sight of her.

 Beautiful, charcoal black eyes framed by long eyelashes, cute, small nose and plump pink lips. Her long, dark hair like a waterfall down her shoulders. She had donned a black leather jacket over a simple white tee pairing it with a pair of dark-washed blue jeans. A stroller in her hand, she looked exactly the same as she used to before before they got married, but still had a different aura about her. 

He suddenly felt a strong urge to just run up to her, take her in his arms and never let go.  He couldn't help the silent tears as they descended from his gorgeous hazel-brown eyes. He tried to wipe them off but every drop that he erased was replaced by another. When he couldn't keep his sobs in anymore, he walked out of the airport as calmly as he could only to break into a run as he neared his car. Shutting the door with an audible bang, he drove off madly.

Reaching their cliff, he took hold of the railing and broke down.  He  had imagined every possible scenario of their first meeting but none matched the reality. Seeing her had brought about a sudden rush of memories. ranging from small bouts of happiness to large gaping sadness. He was reminded that she had stayed with him through his thick and thin but had left when her saturation reached.  

He cried and cried. He cried for himself. For her.For them. For their family. For that little girl who didn't even know how much her mere existence had cost him. He had lost his love and his life to one small lie. 

He felt a hand clutching his shoulder and turned around to see Neela ma looking at him through tears. He instantly collapsed in her arms and sobbed even harder than he already had been. Clinging to her like a child, he asked her, "Why me? What've I done to deserve this kind of fate ma?" She only hugged him back, listening to him babble, her own eyes teared up as she stroked his hair trying to provide some comfort.

Why is it that the purest of souls are broken in the harshest way possible? That the most beautiful smiles hide darkest of secrets and the most troubled souls take refuge behind the most playful of personalities?