06 | family

On weekends, I worked in the shelter home owned by Jennifer, or Jenny as everybody called her

On weekends, I worked in the shelter home owned by Jennifer, or Jenny as everybody called her. She was in her late 20's and had been running the shelter for five years. The creases of stress were quite apparent on her fair skin. I had been working in the shelter since the day Jenny started working there after the death of her grandfather. The shelter had its ups and downs but the courage of Jenny prevailed. She was one of the most determined women I have seen by my own two eyes.

Although the shelter looked after almost fifteen couples, and I had interaction with each of them, my favorite was Mr. Bernard Hall and Mrs. Helen Hall.  I had never met my grandparents, and these two felt like their replacement. Helen taught me how to cook and Bernard infused the love for gardening in me. Bernard taught me grafting and all that gardening techniques

When I reached the shelter, I went straight to my favorite couple's room. The seventy-five years old lady was sitting in her wheelchair facing the window that outlooked the garden.  Her baby pink blouse illuminated her freckled cheeks under the golden sunlight. 

"Good morning," I put my hand on her bony shoulder and kissed her cheek. She smelled of cakes and all the things nice.

"Oh, my daughter is here," she smiled. 

First, I gave her a cup of tea, then, I did her hair. I tied her silky, gray hair into a low bun. I told her about my first week at school and she listened to everything. I didn't tell her about Marina. I wanted to but I didn't.

 "So, I assume, the boy in your lab class made your first week quite happy?" she sipped tea from the cup with her shaking hands.  

While Helen listened to everything I said, she read between the lines too. "Almost," I shrugged, trying my best to contain my over-excitement.

"Love at your age is so pure," she beamed. "I remember my time. I was always on cloud nine. Do bring that boy to me someday."

"We're just class fellows, Helen, nothing more," I laughed.

"Yet," she winked. "And what about Marina? Are the both of you on good terms yet?" Helen didn't miss anything

"We talked for a bit," I told her. "I like to think that we are on good terms."

Helen just nodded in return and said nothing. She never voiced her thoughts when it came to Marina. I didn't ask either because deep down I felt that she knew I did not want to hear whatever she had to say.

And then walked in Bernard, then seventy-eight years old husband of Helen. The lanky man had a few hairs left on his head that he hid under his hat.  Opening my mouth to greet him, I moved towards him to hug him but he raised his hand and stopped me from reaching him.

"My hearing aid," he touched his ear.

"He never wears it, never," Helen shook his head. "No matter how many times I remind him."