Chapter 3: Verbaly Incapable

~Natalie's P.O.V~

I keep walking suddenly interested in the sidewalk beneath my feet. I try not to think about the boy walking right next to me. Listening to our feet padding on the ground I notice his steps sound light for his size. I can feel the breeze blowing my dark hair into my face annoyingly. Looking up at the sky I push my hair out of my face noticing what a beautiful day it is. The sun is shining making everything seem brighter and the sky is clear, not a cloud in sight.

"It's a beautiful day isn't it?" a voice asks startling me out of my thoughts. I look over to see Will staring at me intently.

"Uh...yeah..." I say and notice him chuckling.

"What?"

"It's funny how you always seem to be deep in thought and then when someone says something... you don't know what to say."

"Well...I guess I don't," I say honestly. I've never been good at making conversation and to be honest I've never had much practice.

"What do you mean?" he asks his eyes fixated on me.

"I don't know..."

"Well, what's your favorite color?" he asks suddenly.

"Um...blue, why?"

"You hesitated." he says smirking at me.

"Well...what's your favorite color?"

"Blue," he says right away.

"No way," I say disbelievingly searching his face to see if he is lying. I search for then telltale signs; a twitch of the lips, avoiding eye contact...

"Yeah way," he says mockingly.

"Stop it," I say sheepishly.

"Hey, you're warming up to me."

"No I'm not." I say in denial. I'm definitely not warming up to him. I'm not going to let that happen again.

"Yes you are. See, you've stopped hesitating."

"What?"

"You've stopped hesitating."

"Well...uh..." I say speechless.

"Tell me more about you," he says.

"Why?"

"Because, I want to get to know you,"

"Tell you what, I'll tell you more about me if you tell me more about you."

"What? No!" he says and I can't help but laugh.

"Well it's only fair," I say.

"Fine. You better prepare yourself," he warns jokingly licking his lips and rubbing his hands together. I laugh.

"Okay, as far as family goes..." he begins, "...its just me and my dad I guess. I just moved in with him the other day. He owns a coffee shop in town," he looks over at me.

"Oh," I pause to remember, "Corner Café?"

"Yeah, you've been?"

"Um... Once or twice..." I answer hesitantly.

"Did you like it?"

To be honest, I'm not a fan of coffee but I do like hot chocolate. I've ventured out to the Café Corner before but of course I'm not the only highschool kid who's noticed it. That did not end well...

"Its not really my scene..." I answer vaguely but honestly.

"Why not?"

"Um... I like the shop but not necessarily the customers. Let's just say I'm not welcome there. But enough about me... More about you," I gesture for him to go on. I can tell he wants to ask more but he gets the message and goes on.

Our feet pound in unision as he talks and I listen. He tells me about his dog Pablo who is afraid of water and more about his dad. How his dad is a huge sweetheart but doesn't look the part. He tells me that his favorite movie is the Princess Bride and I laugh but don't tell him its also my favorite.

I don't ask him about his mom. If he wanted to tell me he would've already.

I watch him intently as he stops talking. He sighs and looks around at the buildings and trees.

While he's thinking I look around and realize with a jolt that I have passed my house.

"What?" he asks looking at me curiously.

"Um...I kinda passed my house," I say blushing, embarrassed that I was so oblivious to my surroundings.

"Seriously?" he asks laughing making my cheeks feel warmer.

"I...uh...better go back."

"I can go with you if you want," he suggests.

"No, it's okay, its only a couple houses down."

"Oh, ok, I'll see ya around!" he calls as I start walking in the other direction.

"Oh and Natalie,"

"Yeah?" I say.

"Maybe next time you can tell me about you."

"Hmmm...maybe..." I say smiling at him as I continue walking.

Like that's gonna happen.

******

                                                        Logan Lerman as Will

hey guys!!! Thx for reading! Plz comment vote and/ or follow! =^.^=