five

| curse (n): a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment upon someone or something |

THE DIRT HAD become damp as the sun fell beyond the trees. Mercy and Noah had talked for hours on end about anything and everything, and they quickly became the best of friends. Mercy enjoyed his company, as well as his jokes and the way that he would widen his eyes when he spoke about something exciting. It made Mercy excited as well, and she was slowly getting used to his presence.

Mary had come and checked on them a few times, having brought a few PB&J sandwiches earlier as well, but with the sun setting, Mercy knew that Mary would come looking for them to at least tell Mercy she had to go inside. However, Mercy knew that she needed to do the spell to help Hope and the other kids, and luckily, Noah had helped her with said spell all day.

They had all the ingredients, things they gathered throughout the forest as they talked, Max occasionally running between their legs and making them fall. The ingredients had been safe though despite the dog's intentions and Mercy mixed it all into a small bowl, grinding it together as the wolf book explained.

Noah had been confused by the book at first, asking her, "What is it for? And why isn't there anything on the pages?" She was surprised that he couldn't read what it said, but then she remembered that apparently, she was supposed to be the only one that could read it, which was difficult when she tried to explain to Noah what each page said as he kept on asking whenever she turned the page.

She laughed at his curiosity, shaking her head. "The book is only supposed to be read by me, so the words don't appear to anybody else," she told him, and he nodded his head, slowly understanding.

"That's so cool," he commented, and she giggled at his words, seeing as his face lit up at the sound.

"Yea I guess it is," she agreed with a smile before she looked up, seeing that the sun was setting. She met Noah's gaze, nodding her head as the atmosphere turned serious. "Okay, it's time."

"Is there anything else I can do to help?" Noah asked kindly, and Mercy thought about it for a moment before nodding her head.

"I can use the power of your werewolf curse to help me?" She suggested, and watched in surprise as he nodded his head immediately. He had no doubts about helping her, and Mercy found that trait to be quite admirable.

"Okay," he said, breathing deeply before holding out his hands to her. Max was snuggled into his side, sleeping from the adventure they had today, and Mercy smiled gently at the dog as she grabbed onto Noah's hands. She felt her heart race at the contact, but decided to focus on the spell.