four

"Vanilla," Lauren orders.

Lauren and Camila agreed to meet up close to midnight, since the shop closes then and it's half till—they won't have to worry about being spotted. Camila arrived first, letting Lauren know the space is safe.

"Here you go," the employee hands her a cup of vanilla ice cream. Her very basic but favorite flavor.

"Thank you," she walks over to the small booth in the corner where Camila is sitting.

Camila turns her phone down and sits up as Lauren gets settled in. She's already had half of her chocolate overload. Lauren could laugh at the sight.

"Sorry we have to meet so late," Lauren begins as she scoops the first bite into her mouth.

"It's fine, used to it," Camila plays with her spoon, wiggling it up and down. Lauren watches her carefully. She's not sure where to start, or how to make things not awkward. The only way seems to go for it.

"I'm sorry," Lauren blurts out. Camila dips her spoon in the gelato and looks up.

"For what?"

"Um," Lauren hesitates. "Well, for not acknowledging the fact that you are capable of growth, and for blowing up on you the other night."

"Oh, I forgive you," Camila nonchalantly scoops more ice cream into her mouth. "I didn't expect you to welcome me back into your life with open arms after that. As for the growth thing, I know I kept you waiting for years, and it wasn't fair of me to do that to someone who just wanted answers. Also, thanks for doing this, I'm glad we can talk and sort things out normally. And I love this ice cream."

Lauren unconsciously giggles. Camila's face briefly lights up with unexpectedness, her full lips curving into a smile. Lauren is glad to make her do so.

"Well, thank you for understanding that, but the truth is that we were both figuring ourselves out. And in front of millions of people. I think neither of us realized that," Lauren theorizes. It makes perfect sense to her. They were both fighting their own battles at the same time, neither ready to commit to something they didn't truly know. It doesn't make either one of them the bad guy.

"Way to hit the nail on the head," Camila reaches to her for a high five. Lauren smiles and connects it. It's almost surreal to her that she's living in this exact moment.

Camila eats another scoop of ice cream and twists the spoon in her mouth. She looks out of the window and onto the beach. There's a few people hanging around, and a bonfire going, and it seems a little perfect to Lauren.

"I know that everything happened very... fast... today, but I want you to know that," Camila pauses to ponder. They had yet to discuss what she had actually said earlier. Lauren didn't want much clarification on the actual revelation, but rather why Dinah would ensure that Lauren be civil when Camila told her. Lauren wouldn't be mad at past feelings, not over new ones, at least. For all she knows, Camila still loves her.

Camila places her spoon in the now empty cup. "That I'm not asking you to choose anymore. I just want you to know how I felt, at the time, and decide what that means to you. I definitely don't expect you to come running into my arms whatsoever, but I would like to be normal with you again. Like this, right now."

Lauren starts to think she likes the idea of that too. Back in their group days, they had endless fun together. In her short sixteen years of life, Lauren had never met someone like Camila. So bubbly and quick, and humorous. Lauren could laugh for days at a simple joke she told. Of course she misses that. And she is up to be that to Camila, but just that.