seven

Five years ago

"Vanilla, please."

Lauren grabbed her small cup and sat beside Camila.

"Vanilla is so boring, Lauren. Boring Lauren, that kinda rhymes," Camila drunkenly giggled. She used the plastic spoon in her hand to poke around Lauren instead of eating her own gelato. Lauren swatted it away.

"Please, eat your ice cream so we can go back home," Lauren begged. She regretted answering to Camila in the first place, when she knocked on her window and disturbed the peace. But she was also drunk and Lauren couldn't let her wander around like that.

"Home is where the heart is, boop," Camila tapped near Lauren's chest. Lauren grabbed her hand and tugged it underneath the table.

Her eyes worriedly darted around the small shop. After Camila showed up, Lauren knew she couldn't return her home the way she was. Drunk. Lauren insisted she let Camila shower and eat something at her place, but Camila pestered the older one to be taken to their favorite gelato shop. Lauren was nervous about running into someone they know, or being spotted by fans.

"Eat your ice cream, it's gonna melt," Camila nudged the cup closer. Lauren gently stopped it from falling over.

"I'm saving it for later, which is why I need you to finish yours so I can get this in a freezer," Lauren carefully explained.

"Oh, yeah, that's so smart, you're smart," Camila leaned against Lauren's shoulder, causing even more panic. Lauren pushed her back up and held her against the wall opposite with her hand.

"Camila, please, eat the fucking ice cream!" Lauren quietly demanded. She yanked the spoon out of the girl's hand and dipped it into the chocolate.

"Bossy... bossy Lauren," Camila frowned as she finally took a bite.

"Closing in ten minutes," one employee announced to the remaining customers. Not too many people sat inside, but natives and tourists alike walked the streets near the beach.

"Hear that? You have less than ten minutes to finish," Lauren told.

Camila smiled as she sucked on her spoon.

A few sirens sounded in the distance, and were visible as they flew past the window. Camila's eyes led towards their direction. Her expression lit up when she saw the beach.

"Let's go to the beach!" she began to climb over Lauren's body. Lauren tried pulling her back by her clothing, but failed to keep her down.

"Camila, stop, wait!" Lauren rushed as Camila exited through the doors. She caught up to Camila just before she could cross the two-way street.

"Camila! What are you doing?" Lauren gripped her arm to prevent her from leaving again.

"Going to the beach," Camila said in an obvious tone. Lauren glanced back at their table, then to the water.

"Don't you wanna finish your ice cream? I brought you all the way over here for ice cream," Lauren suggested.

Camila tilted her head from side to side in debate. She also glanced back, but crinkled her nose and shook her head, then tugged Lauren across the street. Lauren double checked for cars and was relieved to see the stoplight.

"Okay, five more minutes and then we're going back, okay? But no getting in the water, I mean it," Lauren granted.

She wasn't sure Camila heard her since the girl took off as soon as they reached the sandy shores. Camila twirled around with her arms out, stumbling back and forth. Lauren watched her.