17.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONASTERY – NIGHT

A HENCHMAN bursts into the room where HAWKSMORE is keeping EVAN and HODGE with some urgent news.

HENCHMAN:

I can’t reach the extraction team. They should be back by now and I can’t get through to anyone.

EVAN:

You’ll never catch him – he’ll be miles away by now.

HAWKSMORE:

As long as I have you, I know exactly where he’ll be heading.

EXT.  CITY STREETS – NIGHT

AARON speeds down the road towards the monastery in the stolen van. The van thunders down the water-logged road in the pouring rain.

CONT.  INT.  KIDNAPPER’S VAN

AARON struggles to see the road through the heavy rain and wildly flapping wipers. Despite this, he slams his foot down and shifts into a higher gear. His pistol and the sachet of blood rest precariously on the passenger seat.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONASTERY

EVAN:

You’re wrong. He’ll have gone straight into hiding – we had a plan.

HAWKSMORE:

Did you, now? Well forgive me if I take a few precautions… just in case you’re wrong.

HAWKSMORE gestures to his HENCHMEN, who pick up their weapons and prepare to guard the perimeter.

HAWKSMORE:

I am sorry about all this, you know.

EVAN:

What for? Ending my career? Kidnapping me? Or do you mean about your plan to murder my brother?

HAWKSMORE:

I know you think of him as your brother, Evan, but he’s not. It’s the fact you can’t see that which makes you such a dangerous man.

HAWKSMORE beckons to his BODYGUARD to come closer and whispers in his ear…

HAWKSMORE:

Tell the men out front to be extra diligent. He’s clearly much more dangerous than we first thought.

EXT.  CITY STREETS – NIGHT

AARON stops the van some distance from Christ Church. In the background, the BODYGUARD can be seen talking to the two men guarding the front door.

INT.  KIDNAPPER’S VAN

AARON turns off the ignition, picks up the pistol from the passenger seat and gets out of the van.

EXT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONASTERY – GRAVEYARD

Sticking to the shadows, AARON moves swiftly through the graveyard. The tombstones and monuments to the dead shield him from the guards’ line of sight.

EXT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONASTERY – ENTRANCE

The two men guarding the door look tired and bored. GUARD #1 sits on the step, propping himself up with his gun and staring off into the middle distance. GUARD #2 nudges him and holds an open fag packet in his direction. GUARD #1 accepts the invitation.

GUARD #1:

Cheers.

AARON moves carefully through the shadows towards the monastery entrance, being careful not to be spotted.

GUARD #1:

Do you have a light?

GUARD #2 retrieves his lighter from his back pocket, sparks it, and holds it out while GUARD #1 lights his cigarette off it. AARON takes this opportunity to slip past them down the side of the building.

EXT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONESTARY – GRAVEYARD

AARON climbs the monastery bell tower. As he ascends he has to fight against the now tempestuous weather, and he’s battered by the wind and torrential rain.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONESTARY

A SECUTIRY GUARD sits in front of an array of monitors displaying CCTV footage of the monastery. He takes a sip from a cup of coffee before returning his attention to the screens.

EXT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONESTARY – BELL TOWER

A clap of thunder rolls across the sky as AARON reaches the top of the tower and climbs in. He leans against the bell while he gets his breath back, before entering the building through the tower door.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONESTARY

The SECUTIRY GUARD sees AARON on one of the monitors, descending through the spiral stair case.

SECURITY GUARD:

Anton, look at this.

HAWKSMORE walks over to the security terminal to see what’s going on.

HAWKSMORE:

Looks like he came after all. I think it’s time we finally met…

HAWKSMORE gestures to three of his armed HENCHMEN.

HAWKSMORE:

You three, bring him to me.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONESTARY – SPIRAL STAIRCASE

AARON makes his way down the spiral staircase. He arrives at another heavy door at the foot of the stairs.

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S MONETARY – HALLWAY

On the other side of the door, the four HENCHMEN wait in ambush.

As AARON cautiously opens the door and steps through, two of them pounce. AARON briefly grapples with them, punching HENCHMAN #2 in the face. AARON’s gun is wrestled from his hands, and HENCHMAN #3 hits him hard from behind with the butt of his gun, knocking him out.