Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX:

Few days after, Phoebe was lying on her bed, listening to some music on her phone. She was closing her eyes while listening to Welcome To My Life by Simple Plan when Derek called her.
"Hey there." He said directly.
"Hey, Derek." She answered.
"Got any plans?"
"Tomorrow? No."
"Now."
"Now? Derek, it's 9p.m."
"That's the point. Are you coming out or what? It's kind of cold outside and I seriously can't wait more."
"Outside? Seriously?" She walked to her window and glanced, she saw Derek standing on the side of the street, when he saw her, he gave her a goofy smile and waved at her. "You're crazy."
"I try my best." And she could feel him smiling through the phone.

Her dad was sleeping which was a good thing because he wouldn't let her go out now. She walked to her mum in the kitchen, she was cleaning the table.
"Mum, I'm kind of bored, can I go out and take a walk?"
She looked at her and then back at the table. "Phoebe , it's late."
"Please, it won't take too long, and I'll go home whenever you call me."
She felt her phone vibrating in her pocket, it must be Derek.
Her mum sighed and said: "Okay, but don't go too far, and come home when I call you."
"Okay, thanks, mum."
"And wear something, it's cold outside."
"I will."
She went back to her room and texted Derek I'll be there in a minute. She wore her Nirvana hoodie over her T-shirt and went out. She found Derek warming his hands with his mouth.
He saw her and raised his eyebrows. "Nirvana? You impress me more every day, Phoebe ."
"You say that to a lot of girls." She joked.
"I do not, Milady." He bowed down, grabbed her hand and kissed it. "I only said it to thee."
She felt his cold lips on her warm hand and it sent a slight shiver through her body.
She laughed "Get up, Mr. Gentleman. We don't have much time, and it's cold here."
"Okay then, let's go." He squeezed her hand and started running. "We'll run to have more time and warm up."
She already started heaving, she's not a work-out person. "Where are you taking me?"
"The lake."

They made it to the lake in ten minutes.
Phoebe put her hands on her knees and she was gasping for air. "Remind me to never do that again."
"I can't promise you that." He answered with a grin.  He was collecting tree branches. "I'll start a bonfire."
"Good, because I don't think I can stand this cold." She sat on a rock and watched Derek take out a lighter from his pocket and lighting a piece of paper.
"Do you smoke?" She asked.
"I don't. I don't even like people who smoke, I find it disgusting."
"Then why are you keeping a lighter with you?"
He lifter the paper after lighting it and looked at it. "I like fire." He passed his fingers through the flame. "It fascinates me."
"You impress me more every day, Derek." She said with a grin.
"You say that to a lot of boys." He winked at her, but she could barely see his face in the darkness.
He let go of the piece of paper and it landed on tree branches he collected, and the bonfire started being created. Phoebe started feeling the warmth on her skin. "Better."
Derek stood up and walked to her, she moved to her left a bit to give him a place to sit. He sat on her side, their legs were touching.
They were quite for a bit and then Derek broke the silence: "You might be asking yourself now; 'why did he get me out of my room at 9p.m in such a cold night?', aren't you?"
She glanced at him and nodded.
"Well, check this out and tell me." He pointed at the lake.
She raised her head and focused on the lake. It was like a black void of emptiness, but the moonlight was hitting it's surface and it looked like something out of this world. Phoebe brushed some hair from her face and kept looking, fascinated. It was peaceful and statue still, like there was not even one wind movement, unruffled by wind or rain, it was vault still and restful.  A sap sweet smell hung in the air and it filled Phoebe's lungs.
Derek was looking at her, she turned to him and he asked. "Worth it?"
"Worth it." She answered.
He put his arm around her shoulder and she placed her head on his shoulder, and they stayed like that. Neither one of them was moving. It was just them, the warmth of the fire and the view of the surface of the lake, and Phoebe wouldn't ask for more.

Few minutes later, Phoebe felt the phone in her pocket vibrating. It was her mum.
"I have to go." She announced.