Prologue

The Fifth Hero

After the tumultuous events of the Second Wave, the Kingdom of Melromarc was filled with joyous celebrations. At the grand royal castle, the Heroes and their companions were being honored with an elaborate victory party, with the King himself offering personal congratulations to the Bow, Sword, and Spear heroes. Meanwhile, Naofumi sat alone, resenting his presence at the celebration but aware that he had no choice if he wanted to secure his promised payment.

As the other guests ignored him, the Shield Hero scrolled through his assist menu and discovered a teleportation feature for registered members to the Wave, recognizing its potential value for the upcoming battles. He also observed the Knight Captain boasting to a group of young noblewomen about defeating a massive monster, even though he had abandoned Naofumi and arrived too late to assist the other heroes. Meanwhile, the assembled crowd of nobles praised the Heroes for their role in limiting the number of casualties.

Motoyasu found himself surrounded by a group of noblewomen, all vying for his attention and asking personal questions about his love life. But their conversation was quickly cut short by a possessive Myne, who couldn't bear to share Motoyasu's company with anyone else.

Despite Myne's efforts, Motoyasu's eyes were drawn to Raphtalia as she strolled through the crowd. He tried to approach her, but Myne intercepted him and whispered something into his ear unnoticed by Raphtalia and Naofumi.

Meanwhile, Raphtalia was eager to share the festivities with Naofumi, urging him to try some of the delicious food on offer. But Naofumi was too preoccupied with the upcoming Wave to indulge and instead focused his attention on studying the support menu with precision.

Despite Naofumi's initial objections, Raphtalia insisted and brought over a slice of cake, urging him to indulge. However, their peaceful moment was suddenly interrupted by a furious Motoyasu, who threw off his glove and challenged Naofumi to a duel. The room fell silent in shock and anticipation as Motoyasu accused Naofumi of morally wrong behavior by keeping Raphtalia as his slave.

Naofumi calmly defended his actions, pointing out that slavery is legal in Melromarc and that Raphtalia chose to become his companion of her own free will. However, Motoyasu argued that as Heroes from another world, they must uphold moral standards and not engage in slavery.

Ren and Itsuki, who were also present, were taken aback by this revelation and expressed their disgust towards Naofumi for having a slave as a party member. The tension in the room was palpable as the Heroes' differing beliefs and moral standards clashed.

Naofumi questions what he stands to gain from winning the duel, but Motoyasu offers nothing in return. Uninterested in a meaningless duel, Naofumi tries to leave with Raphtalia but is stopped by a guard.

Suddenly, King Aultcary appears, thoroughly disgusted. Overhearing the conversation, he accuses Naofumi of being rotten to the core and orders him to participate in the duel regardless. When Raphtalia tries to explain that she chose to follow Naofumi of her own free will, she is brutally seized, bound, gagged, and dragged away by Melromarc soldiers.

The King argues that Raphtalia has been coerced into defending her master through the Slave Crest, disregarding her protests that she genuinely wants to be by Naofumi's side. The situation reaches an unbearable tension as the fate of Naofumi and Raphtalia hangs in the balance.

Enraged by the unjust treatment of Raphtalia, Naofumi attempts to take her back by force, but finds himself surrounded by a wall of guards, all with their swords drawn. Faced with no other choice, Naofumi reluctantly agrees to the duel but demands that Raphtalia be returned to him once the duel is over.