Chapter Twenty Five: Small Encounters

"Ne... (Y/N)? You awake?"

"Hnggg.... Ten more minutes, Juli-San..."

"Hah? Who's Juli?"

Fluttering her tired eyes open, (Y/N)'s (E/C) orbs met with a pair of pink eyes looking at her. Nezuko hummed quietly before poking (Y/N)'s forehead with her index finger, as if it was a way for the young girl to ask if she was awake or not.

"Ow! Careful, Nezuko. You got sharp nails"

"Hmph! Hmm..."

As she sat up from her spot, (Y/N) noticed the bandages around her arms and legs, also the patches on her neck and face. The debris and burnt marks from earlier seems to have been treated by someone as she was knocked out. The treatment just have been a great one since (Y/N) felt fine and ready for another mission.

"Hmph Hmph! Hmm hmm hmm!"

Nezuko huffed, pulling on (Y/N)'s uniform and pointing over to the other side of the room. The demon girl struggled but managed to drag the other girl out of the futon she was laying in.

"Aaa- Nezuko calm down I'm getting up-!"

"Hmph!"

"Ah, (Y/N), you're awake." The two heard a voice called. It was Lady Tamayo who have spoken up.

Lady Tamayo was on the other side of the room with Yushiro and Tanjiro and also many boxes of bandages and medicines. Tanjiro's upper uniform was undone and his chest was tightly wrapped in thick bandages. The boy was biting his lips as a way to not scream at the pain in his ribs, many to keep his reputations as the oldest child. But even if he was holding it in, (Y/N) can easily tell that his ribs are dying.

"The burns on your body, are they feeling better?" Yushiro asked, his gaze never leaving Lady Tamayo. (Y/N) glanced back down to her arms before responding.

"Not as bad as the last time I got burnt."

"Last time?" Tanjiro asked, suddenly interested in the occurring conversation.

"Yeah, the first ever mission I had. It was against.."

The girl paused, not wanting to talk about her corrupted brother. It brought her pain just to mention anything about the young boy.

"Ah, I think that's enough talking. You guys should pack up for your next mission." Said Lady Tamayo, who just finished patching up Tanjiro's broken rib bones. Nezuko listened and crawled over to her small box before shrinking into a small kid. The girl shuffled herself into position before getting comfortable with the inside of the box. Afterward, she gave a thumbs-up to the rest of the people in the room, signaling that she's all set and ready to go.

"And, (Y/N), for your next mission, please don't overwork yourself."

"Alright, I'll keep that in mind."

________

Hijimisha, (Y/N)'s crow, arrived a moment before the two set off. The bird already got a mission for his master to fulfil. It was a rather quick mission that was nearby where they were, just inside the Buddhist temple Sensoji. There were rumors about a demon hiding itself in the temple and eating the believers inside. The crow informed her that the demon is currently hiding as one of the believers and it might be a mutant high-ranked demon. Since it was a high-ranked, there was someone going with (Y/N) to her mission. A girl named Kanao Tsuyuri.

"Good luck with your mission, (Y/N)-Chan!"

"Hai, good luck to you too, Tanjiro."

The two bid each other fair wells before heading off, separating paths once again. But this time, it felt different. (Y/N) felt more insecure and unsafe even more. After fighting off her first demon out of the Final Selection, the girl's confidence dropped low. What if she wasn't strong enough to kill that demon back then? What would happen?