The Goblet of Fire

The origins of the Goblet of Fire are murky at best. Nobody really knows who invented it or when. All we really know is what is made of. There is a story that most Wizarding children are told basically from birth, and that is the tale of Babbity Rabbity and the Cackling Stump. In the story Babbity is trapped in a tree, but, but the tree is cut down. We know that she ended up just being trapped in the stump. But as the stump kept most of Babbity's magic, we can still guess that the trunk would have kept some as well. Now, it is not necessarily the exact tale of the Cackling stump, but we can assume that a venture like this actually took place, as all of Beedle's tales are based loosely on fact (although they can not be referred to as complete fact, most of it is fiction).

Anyways, the trunk was carved into a big cup by the king, thinking that it would make a nice centerpiece for his throne room. Why anyone would ever want a giant cup in their throne room we may never know. The cup ended up sitting in the same place for over five decades. Eventually it was repurposed and given new life when a witch or wizard found the cup in storage later on, and discovered it's magical abilities, enhancing them for a singular purpose, choosing the most worthy. The cup has only really been used for choosing the Triwizard champions, although after the death of the late Cedric Diggory, the cup may continue to remain in storage for a while yet.