Robes

Fashion in the wizarding world is rather peculiar to the muggle eye, most witches and wizards choose to wear cloaks and occasionally pointy hats. But why did our predecessors choose these items? In this chapter I'm going to talk about robes and cloaks. In the next chapter I'll talk about hats.

First off, witches and wizards have been wearing robes for quite a while, as in they sort of developed after roman times, when we wore togas and cloaks just like everyone else. You probably guessed that we chose to adopt cloaks as they made sense for our climate in Europe. Of course every country has different items that they wear, depending on their culture. But in most of Europe and North America similar items are worn. Some cloaks do have defense mechanisms, like charms that were placed upon the fabric, or potions and ingredients woven into the fabric. Now onto robes.

Wizard and witch robes tend to differ slightly. Wizard robes usually have less of a fitted style to them and aren't always as elaborate, while witch robes tend to be more form fitting and more dress like. There truly isn't much function in traditional wizarding robes, but now younger generations are tending to adopt more muggle-esque fashion, especially for fancier events. Well, that's all that there really is to know about traditional magical clothing. Next chapter, we'll talk about hats.