Chap 5, Back to Awareness

Keith let out a groan as he came back into consciousness. He could feel Kosmo laying at his feet. Maybe they were back at the safe house? Keith wasn't sure; he couldn't quite remember what happened last. Wasn't he on the search for water? Shit! Wasn't there an explosion?

Keith tried to sit up, but he didn't get very far. Groaning, Keith hunched up, his left side giving him a sharp pain.

"Try not to move too quickly," a male's voice said all chipper.

Keith froze. His eyes flew open as he quickly gazed around the room. Nothing looked familiar, nothing smelled familiar either. He accidentally let out a scared whimper, causing this mustached man beside him to inhale sharply.

We won't hurt you," the man said softly as he reached over to grab a bottle of water. Keith was wary at first, until he realized the cap hadn't been opened yet. He screwed it off and immediately gulped down the whole bottle.

"You've been on your own for a while, haven't you," the man said sadly as he placed two fingers on Keith's wrist and looked at his watch. "You're rather thin."

Keith remained silent, glancing down at Kosmo. Well, the dog looked comfortable, which eased Keith a bit. Kosmo would've been on edge if they were in danger.

"Lance, can you come in here please?" The orange-haired male said after he checked Keith's pulse and wrote something down in a notebook. "Let's get you something to eat, alright?"

"Who...are you?" Keith croaked out, wincing at the sound of his rough voice.

"I am Coran Hieronymus Wimbleton Smythe," the man said with a kind smile. "And you're Keith Kogane, right?"

"How'd you know—"

"Oh, he's awake," a somewhat familiar voice said. Keith looked to the door, where a gangly teen was leaning against the doorframe. "I better alert Shiro."

"Shiro?" Keith gasped, wincing as it hurt his side. He gripped it in pain.

"Be careful there," Coran said. "No sudden movements."

"Do you mean Takashi Shirogane?" Keith said, ignoring Coran's words as he struggled to sit up.

"Yeppers," Coran grinned as the gangly teen left the room. "He's the leader."

"He's...alive?" Tears reached Keith's eyes.

"Oh my," Coran said as he hurried over. "Is your wound hurting?"

"Shiro, was my mentor," Keith explained as he struggled to get Kosmo off. Kosmo let out an annoyed huff before jumping off the bed.

"Whoa there," Coran pressed a hand on Keith's shoulder. "You've had a blood transfusion. You can't go anywhere."

"I need to see Shiro," Keith said, giving Coran a warning growl. "Let go."

"Chill out," the gangly teen from before said. "Shiro said to stay put."

"Who are you?" Keith asked. "Where am I?"

"Uh, the name's Lance," the guy blinked, smelling offended. Keith just stared. "We were at the Garrison together. You were my rival."

"Oh I remember you," Keith let out a pained chuckle. "You're a cargo pilot."

"Umm, excuse you," Lance huffed. "I was a cargo pilot till you flunked out."

"Ah, you took my place," Keith said with a grin. "How's it feel being a replacement."

"Shut up," Lance growled, taking a step forward.

Feeling threatened, Keith scooted back, accidentally letting out a whine again. Kosmo got up and growled at Keith's anxiousness. Lance froze, seeming to realize what he was doing.