Prologue

In.

Out.

In.

Then out.

My breaths were out of control. For a reason unknown to me. Every breath that I take feels like a thousand needles puncturing my chest. It made my head dizzy. Everything was quiet, but at the same time too loud. My arms felt weak, but my body felt so strong and hot. My head was spinning.

Then I felt someone take ahold of my arms. It began to shake me, shout at me. It made me stress more. Tears began to leak out of my eyes. Everything was happening too fast.

Then my mind was put at ease. My dizziness faded, the silence and the noise was halted. The person shaking me stopped and instead started running their hands up and down my back in a comforting manner. It worked as my breathing stabilized.

When I opened my eyes, I was expecting the warm eyes of my mother, or the loving eyes of my father. Instead, I was faced with a less warmer eyes of a woman who took care of me, of us. This woman was Karin Hijikata. She takes care of us orphan children. She was middle aged and widowed. I was told that she was a friend of my mother.

I was born here, you see. Hijikata-san told me that my mother died giving birth to me. In this orphanage. She went to her only friend in search of a place she knew that the both of us would be taken care of. Only that she did not make it.

The night I found out about my quirk, was also the night that I heard about my father the first time.

Scene

The night was joyous. The children were eating their warm dinner together at the table. The air inside was warm, but the harsh rain pelting in the ground was cold as ice. Thunder struck the skies and rumbled across the city. And in this night, a girl of five was heading up her room. She felt dizzy and warm. Too warm. As she was passing by the oak door to Hijikata-san's office. She heard a name

The name of Hamada. It was hers. But instead of the name Sunako, she heard the name Gin Hamada. She did not know who Gin Hamada is. But at the same time, she did not know if she has a family left outside of the orphanage.

She listened in, curious to hear if someone was coming to get her.
"Her mother, Akane Hamada did not specify in this document about the details of her husband's passing. But it does say he died in a fire." Hijikata-san told someone. This someone was hidden by the tall rest of the couch.

"I was told that you and Hamada-san were great friends. Did she not consult with you about this subject?" The person on the couch said in a deep, baritone. He is a male for sure.

"Oh, Gin-san died months before Akane came here to give birth. Only then did I see her again." Hijikata-san said, sadness could be heard from her voice.
The air felt dangerous. As if the long pause from the stranger ignited a dangerous tension. Thunder struck, startling the young girl. She did not mean to, but she yelped from fright, giving away her position from the door.

The stranger turned in her direction. Sunako made eye contact with him for a split second. But in those split seconds did she feel her first feeling of utter fear.
She froze, her senses went berserk.
She could hear Hijikata-san calling for her. But she ran as fast as she could to her room.

Her panic started, for an unknown reason. She shut her eyes closed as her breathing starts to go out of control.

❦︎

Running after the child, Karin was growing nervous. The person she was talking to quickly left the orphanage in a hurry. She did not know why.

Sunako's door was locked, she started knocking on it. After a few knocks there was no answer. She could hear ragged breaths from the inside. Pulling out her keys, she opened the door to a shocking sight.

Clothes, lamps and small clutters were floating in the air. There was a red, glowing mist surrounding it. It looked like it was holding the objects.
Karin was utterly shocked. She did not expect another one of her children to develop a quirk. But then again, Sunako was a child of Gin Hamada.

She went to the girl and crouched to her level. She took ahold of her arms and started shaking her gently. She called her name over and over in a genle manner. When the girl did not response, she used her kind quirk.

Her fingertips softly glowed white. She closed her eyes and connected her forehead with the child. The child's breathing slowed and eased. Sunako was only sniffling now.

Karin Hijikata is an empath. She chose to use her quirk on her orphaned children rather than on a job. She loves her children as if they were biologically hers. She gave them a home when their real parents could not. And that was an honour to her.

Sunako fell asleep in Karin's warm arms.
Karin put her to bed and organized her room. Karin's mind was running.
My best friend's child has developed a quirk, though late and unexpected I have to help her control it. As Gin also had troubles controlling his when he was younger. Guess I have to explain it to Sunako in the morning.

  End, Scene

That was years ago, I am now a teenager who has control over my quirk. Hijikata-san helped me understand my quirk. Then I worked hard to control and use it. I will never forget that night. Not only did I show my quirk that night, I will never forget the conversation Hijikata-san had with that stranger.

I asked her about it. She told me all she knows about my father's death. Apparently, there was a Hero Convention.  My father was one of the guests, during his part, a fire broke out from the stage. Igniting further in an uncontrollable pace. There were only a few unknown heroes that day. My father was the only one who was famous that was invited.

I knew that it was a lie. My father could have saved himself. I know from what I saw from videos of his hero career. His quirk was telekinesis, like mine. But it was limited to only moving around objects. So he developed or created Nanobots that would serve as his shield and weapon. It survived even the worst housefires. So my father could not have died that easily.

I am on a mission. Nobody would tell me the truth, only I will. I will be the Top Hero, so I could continue my investigation. Nobody would question my mission if I had everybody wrapped around my fingers. As a Hero. Starting with attending the UA Academy.